Could the Lump After Smart Lipo Be Expanding to Rib Area?

I had Smart Lipo (upper & lower abs) 5.5 weeks ago. 2 wks after surgery, I started noticing a lump to the left of my belly button. Since the swelling is going down, I notice the lump more and more. It feels like a golf ball in there. I have gone for 2 lymph drainage massages and massage at home and doesn't help. Today I noticed my left rib is sticking out more than the right and is tender underneath. I have called the place I got the surgery and they will not return my calls.

Swelling could be seroma

Swelling, and some lumpiness/ uneveness is normal but the fluctuation should lessen over 6-9 months. You should be noticing less swelling over time not more. Follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are on course.

Lump after liposuction

Lumps noted after liposuction, could be residual fat that wasn't suctioned out as well as the rest of the areas, it could be a fluid collection such as blood (hematoma), a collection of lymphatic fluid or serum, or even a cyst.  It might be a hernia as well.  You should be seen by your surgeon.  Make sure that the surgeon is getting your message. If you don't get a response then you must see a new surgeon to be evaluated in-person. The doctor should also examine the rib to determine why it might be more prominent.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Get a CAT scan, MRI or ultrasound to identify mass

It could be fluid or tissue from the Smartlipo but it seems that a CAT scan or MRI, or ultrasound is indicated to identify this abdominal mass.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD