Yellow Discoloration of Skin - Is my Compression Binder Too Tight?

I've been wearing my compression garment and binder daily and the swelling has moved to my pubic area. I understand this is normal but the skin around there has a yellow discoloration. I sat for a long period of time so I am wondering if the ab binder is impairing blood circulation. Please help! Thanks!

Skin discoloration after smart lipo is normal

+2

Yellow to green discoloration is a normal appearance of bruising after any liposuction. Gravity makes the bruises go to the lowest area. I know that it is very disconcerting to see these large areas of discoloration, but they are totally harmless.

San Ramon Dermatologist

Swelling and Yellow Color after Liposuction

+1

Based on your description, you do not have anything to be concerned about. Swelling the pubic area is “dependent swelling” after long period of sitting. The yellow discoloration is the last “stage” of bruising (bruises change color from black/blue to yellowish over time)-  the discoloration will disappear over the course of one week.

Bruising after liposuction

+1

swelling and bruising can move by gravity from the abdomen to the pubis.  Bruising usually turns from the darker color to the yellowish color before fading but sometimes all you see is the yellow color.  If the bruise is in a lower area than where the liposuction took place, then usually the bruising doesn't hurt. See your doctor if there is pain in the area to be evaluated.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Binder and skin color

+1

Usually a yellowish discoloration is related to the color of bruising that goes away with time.  But if you are concerned I would speak with your surgeon.

Little compression is needed after liposuction surgery

+1

Little compression is needed after liposuction surgery. It is more important to keep the area warm than to keep it compressed.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

A little bruising is the most likely suspect

+1

If you still have some swelling, it is probably early days for you. As such there may be a little bruising in its final stages before going away. You would be more likely (due to gravity) to get it in the lower area of your surgical procedure. If you have increased discomfort, you should notify your surgeon. If not, you may choose to watch it disappear over the next 5 - 7 days. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin discoloration following abdominoplasty

+1

The skin discoloration may be consistent with bruising.  When blood vessels are traumatized from any surgery or injury, blood escapes from capillaries.  When hemoglobin (an iron-containing component of red blood cells) is broken down, it usually first appears blue or red.  As it is further broken down and reabsorbed by your body, it may turn brown or yellow.  This is likely what you are seeing.  The pubic area normally swells because this is the lowest that blood and swelling may travel.  Gravity from standing pulls the fluid to the pubis and upper thigh.  Thus, it collects in this region and will resolve with time.  For a more detailed interpretation, please include a photo.  I hope this helps!

Jason R. Hess, MD