Is a Single MiraDry Treatment Enough to Provide Permanent Sweat Reduction?

I underwent the MiraDry procedure 2 months ago, & now I'm seeing some of my ability to sweat return to the treated area. The company (Miramar Labs) claims that at least 2 treatments are necessary to achieve "lasting" results. I want to know the following: if I just stop now and do not get treated a second time, do I retain permanent reduction in sweat, or does my sewat return to normal if not treated a second time ? Is it absolutely necessary to receive a second treatment for permanent results ?

2 treatments recommended

+1
miraDry recommends 2 treatments, because of several reasons-
1. Patients vary in sweat gland numbers
2. Patients vary with the thickness of the axillae or underarms
3. The treatment levels will vary with patient to patient. 

Undergoing two treatments will give you the probability of 80-90% sweat reduction for life. 

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Consultant Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia.

Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry - 1 or 2 treatments ?

+1

The company recommends 2 treatments. After doing this procedure for nearly 3 years as of this writing (Septembe 2013), I have changed my practice to routinely perform miraDry at level 5 and to perform 1 treatment and leave it to the patient to return for a second treatment if they don't achieve the clinical dryness they are seeking. As such, we have changed our practice to charge 1,500 for the first treatment and this seems to be more affordable for patients They don't have to pay the full amount of 3,000 dollars if they do not need a second pass at 90 days. Nobody has shown in a scientific study whether delaying the second treatment to 90 days, 180 dyas or 360 days after the 1st treatment reduces overall treatment efficacy - i.e. less than the 86% reported by the company with 2 treatments spaced 90 days apart.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

2 Treatments of miraDry for better results

+1

For optimal results, we recommend two miraDry treatments spaced 3 months apart.  Although you will likely achieve a 40-50% reduction in sweating after one treatment, two treatments are necessary to obtain a sweat reduction as high as 86% in most patients.  The miraDry procedure utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where swat glands are located.  Studies demonstrate that results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.  Patients may initially note an increased reduction in sweating after the first treatment that gradually wears off because while approximately 40-50% of the sweat glands are gone, some may be temporarily stunted.  That is why it is advisable to have the second treatment for optimal results and full eradication of sweat glands.  

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry - One treatment is usually not enough.

+1

MiraDry typically provides great sweat relief after two treatments and thus many places sell the two treatments as one package.  You will probably experience a sweat reduction after one treatment and if your symptoms were only mild/moderate to begin with, then you may find one treatment adequate, but some of the sweat glands are still functional after one treatment.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

MiraDry Consists of a Series of Two Non-Invasive Treatments

+1

Dear Marcel1982,

MiraDry typically eliminates about 50% of underarm sweating after one treatment and 85% after two treatments.

Two treatments are absolutely recommended for proper results.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Two treatments is better that one

+1

In my experience, the level of reduction is on the order of 40-50% with one session and 70-90% with two sessions.  Two session would active a greater more long lasting reduction in sweating

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

2 Treatments Recommended

+1

The results clearly are better after 2 treatments. Remember that with each treatment a certain percentage of sweat glands are destroyed. So with 2 treatments results will be better than after 1 treatment.

David Goldberg, MD