Between Silicone and Gore Tex Which Will Be Better?

i had my rhinoplasty a couple of weeks using silicone implant since it was strongly recommended by my surgeon, after 5 days i just woke up having a swollen eyes and cheek. i notify my doctor and prescribed strong antibiotic. the response was good but he recommends for the removal of the implant and be put back after a month. now im hesitant to use silicon again plus the fact that i felt the hard feeling inside my nose. will it be better to use gore tex instead of silicon for a more natural feel?

+1

IMHO, Gore Tex carries an even greater risk of becoming infected which is why I quit using this as a grafting material in Rhinoplasty in the late 1990's and only use Silastic straight dorsal implants.  They can, but rarely do get infected in my experience.  Have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Nasal implants: silicone versus goretex

+1

If septal or ear cartilage is not sufficient and rib cartilage is also not chosen, then I think the goretex implant is softer and easier to place with better long term results. My preference though would be to use cartilage whenever possible including rib. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs Gortex for Nasal Implant

+1

Both Silicone and Gortex are used for nasal augmentation. However I always prefer to use the patients own cartilage to avoid potential complication following the use of these products. Infection, implant movement and implant extrusion are all possible with silicone implants. Gortex is extremely difficult to remove if necessary after placement.

Nasal implants

+1

I think it is usually best to go with more natural products available. The best is your own cartilage. I think after that the irradiated cartilage. I am not a big fan of the alloplasts like silicone or gortex for the very reason that you are having problems

Silicone Implants

+1

Hi,

I've used custom carved silicone implants for 15 years and I had one patient that got infected and the implant need to be removed. I replaced that implant after 3 months. Silicone and/or gortex can get infected. If the procedure is performed right, the risk of infection is very low. Disadvantage with cartilage is that it is difficult or impossible to get the exact shape and size that is need, especially in ethnic patients. The difference is not the implant that is used, its the needs of the patient and skill of the surgeon. Make sure your surgeon knows how to work with  nasal implants and you'll get great results.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty with SIlicone or Goretex Implant

+1

It really doesn't matter which type of implant is used, both have a significant risk of infection. And when they get infeccted, whether its a few weeks or a few years after surgery, they have to be removed. See a surgeon experienced in complicated rhinoplasties and get another opinion.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD