Nose was Broken 9 Months After a Septoplasty, Can it be Repaired?

I had broken my nose a few years ago and had a deviated septum which caused difficulty in breathing. I had a septoplasty 9 months ago which was very successful. I have recently sustained an injury. I was accidently hit in the face by someones elbow and have broken my nose again. Can my nose be repaired again? I am extremely upset by this.

Repeat nasal and septal repair

+1

Reduction of a nasal fracture and realignment of the nasal bones can certainly be done whether or not a septoplasty has been performed in the past.  It is also important to make sure the septum has not been fractured with the new injury.  Otherwise, that deviated septum will need to be addressed as well.  An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will have no trouble straightening the inside and outside portion of the nose through closed rhinoplasty techniques.

A broken nose can be straightened following prior septoplasty

+1

A broken nose can be repaired following prior septoplasty. If your main issue is that your nose is now crooked, deviated or twisted then yes the nasal bones can be straightened. If your injury was in the past couple of weeks then the bones can be straightened without making any incisions. If the injury is older than that then the nasal bones might need to be straightened surgically. In either case, these are very common procedures for an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon to perform.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repair after Nasal Fracture and Septoplasty

+1

You can certainly have repair of a nasal fracture after a septoplasty. The indications for repair of the nasal fracture would included a visual deviation of the nose.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

+1

Yes, but a Septoplasty removes areas of the nasal septum that are deviated and bent.  Once removed, these can't contribute to airway obstruction related to additional nasal trauma.  Your nose should be examined by an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon for further recommendations.