Sharp Pains in Breasts when Laying Down

Hi I had a breast lift and augmentation a week ago, with 300 cc silicone implants under the muscle. My breasts feel heavy and generally sore which is to be expected. When I lay down on my back, even with pillows, I get very sharp, burning pains at the very top of each breast, which make it unbearable to lay down. Is this normal, what would be causing it, and will it improve. I am taking pain killers, but it doesn't seem to help.

Pain following breast augmentation. Is it normal ?

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

The pains you are describing fall within the normal and expected pattern in the early post-operative course. Given their bilateral nature, I would not be too concerned. You may be experiencing muscle spasms, which can be lessened with the use of muscle relaxants. If the pains should worsen over time or become intolerable, I would confer with your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Web reference: http://www.BeverlyHillsCosmeticSurgeon.com

Sharp burning type pain following a breast augmentation

+1

What happens is the lateral intercostal nerves, those that come up between the ribs, were stretched by your activity and the implant.  The result is a shooting, stabbing type pain.  At times this pain can feel like a deep burn or an ache.  Gentle massage along the lateral edge of the breast usually helps.  This pain is not usually indicative of any problem with the implant or  your result and will get better over time.

Breast implants may shift upward when lying down

+1

Pain at the top of the breast when lying down may be from upward movement of the implants when you lie down. An elastic breast band (Raineywear.com or Designveronique.com) worn at the top of the breast when you sleep can provide counterpressure. Of course, check with your physician if the pain persists.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

The pain you describe is muscle spasm. This is normal after breast augmentation. It may be diminished with oral Valium tablets at night. I would visit with my plastic surgeon and let him/her examine you.

Good Luck,

Leo Lapuerta Jr., MD FACS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgery

Recovering nerves after breast augmentation.

+1

Most likely the sharp pains you are experiencing are due to recovering nerves (dysesthesias) and descent of the implant in the breast pocket.   Make sure you discuss this at your next post op appointment and if the pain is unbearable, call your surgeon's office. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

BREAST PAIN

+1

The symptoms you are experiencing most likely are perfectly normal.  Muscle tightness or spasm may be the cause of these symptoms.  On occasion a muscle relaxant may help you symptoms.  Confer with your plastic surgeon about your concerns.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative pain

+1

What you are describing sounds pretty normal after only a few days after your surgery.   Please contact your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.   Don't worry, your pain and soreness will likely get better over the next several days to weeks.

Pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

It is normal to have sharp pain after breast augmentation.  Your surgery was only 1 week ago.  Usually, patients have "tight" pain/discomfort for 3-5 days after breast augmentation; and it will diminish soon afterwards.  However, some patients can experience occasional, sharp pain weeks or months after breast augmentation due to nerve pain. 

Pain in breasts early post-op

+1

It is fairly common to have some pain at one week after surgery, and also to have weird sensations the first few weeks.  If concerned contact your doctor.

Pain on top of the breast the week after breast implants

+1

Breast augmentation under the muscle, with or without a breast lift places considerable strain on the chest muscle the first week or two. The muscle now must stretch over the implant, and when on your back the pull can be greater. For the first two weeks we have our patients wear a snug band or wrap over the top of the breast to hold the implant down and still, and encourage ice or gel packs over the top of the breast to ease the muscle pull. You may not be comfortable on your back for another week, though on your side with your arms forward around a pillow should work out.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com