I had my breast implants done 3 days ago and beginning the second day (after the anesthesia wore off), I started to feel a very sharp pain like an electrical shock on my left breast. The pain occurs mostly from waking up in the morning or from a nap.My right breast feels perfectly fine. What's causing this?
Sharp, Electric Shock-Like Pains After Breast Augmentation
Doctor Answers 9
Pain after breast augmentation
After any surgery, it is normal to have pain and discomfort. Whenever nerves are cut, they have raw nerve endings that need to heal. While they are healing, these raw endings spontaneously fire signals to the brain that can be perceived as anything from an itch to stabbing pain to burning sensation. These feelings should subside as the nerve endings heal. If this is causing you excessive amount of discomfort or if this persists for a long time, you should let your surgeon know and he / she can prescribe you some medication for nerve pain.
Martin Jugenburg, MD
Pains After Breast Augmentation
- Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
- Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
- A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
- Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
- Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
- You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Sharp Pains after Breast Augmentation
This is a perfectly normal feeling post-surgery. It is caused by the nerves regenerating and is only temporary.
You might also like...
Pains after augmentation
Patients may experience many different types of pain after surgery. What you describe is not uncommon following breast augmentation. In particular, sharp intermittent pains often times are nerve pains from stretching. These typically subside as the breast tissue adjusts to the implant size.
"Electrical" pains are usually due to nerves healing
It sounds like you are having some normal variation of pain during your very early recovery after breast augmentation. Those nerves will sort themselves out over the coming months, and those pains should lessen. If not, please discuss with your surgeon.
Pain after Breast Augmentation
It is perfectly normal to be having pain at this point. It never fails that one side hurts more despite the same surgery on each side. Our bodies are naturally asymmetric. Sharp shooting pain like you describe is typically nerve pain. This can result from pressure on a nerve, or irritation from the surgery on a nerve. Nerve pain generally takes a long time to resolve so be patient.
Electrical Pain after Breast Augmentation
Breast pains: electrical shocks following implants
It is not unusual to have sharp electrical pains on one side and not the other due to nerve irritation or compression (neuropraxia).