I would like a simple breast lift but I am African-American and horribly afraid of the scar. Will implants be enough to lift my breasts and fill them out? What do you recommend?
Will Implants Be Enough to Lift and Fill out my Breasts?
Doctor Answers (18)
Implants do not lift a breast
Implants increase cup size, they do not treat sagging. This is a common misconception that many people have. Yes they can fill out and temporarily perk up a sagging breast, but the implant falls to the lower pole of the breast. You therefore have aggravation of sagging as time passes, and a larger, saggier version of yourself. You need a lift, and there is the trade off of scarring. There is no other way, or we would be doing it that way. Just because you are African American does not mean you will have bad scars. Everyone heals differently, and I have performed this operation on individuals of all ethnicities with excellent scar quality.
Based on your pictures, you do need a lift
Breast implant and lift
In some cases, breast augmentation alone can make the breast "perkier” without a breast lift. The following factors are considered:
1) During your breast augmentation, the breast implants will be placed directly under the breast tissue and above the chest wall muscle (in the sub-mammary position).
2) The best breast implants to use for a perkier result contain silicone gel that is more cohesive, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 (formerly known as Soft-Touch gel). These implants are slightly firmer to maintain their shape better, but still retain their natural feel.
3) The shape of your breast implants should have more, rather than less, projection. Breast implants with a smaller base width will make your breasts project more forward from your chest wall and body, creating a more prominent contour. “Profile” is a synonym for projection, therefore look for high profile implants.
Generally speaking, larger breast implants can also help give a better lift, sometimes raising the position of the nipple by one or two centimetres.
In order to determine whether breast augmentation without a lift can achieve your expectations, please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.
Scarring can be reduced by following your surgeon's post-surgery care instructions and keeping the scars out of the sun. Sun exposure can cause permanent darkening. You can also consider topical scar treatments once the steristrips have fallen off. Talk to your surgeon about silicone gel and silicone sheeting. Best of luck!
You might also like...
Unfortunately the implants will not lift your breasts, if you have scars from other surgery or trauma that have not had keloids I would not be worried about excessive scarring
Breast Lift with Augmentation
Thank you for sharing your photos. I do recommend a lift with your breast augmentation. In terms of scarring, I would recommend silicone therapy immediately postop and start aggressive scar massage at 4 weeks. Here are my criteria:
Candidates for a Breast Lift (Primary Breast Shape Concern):
1. Patient is happy with breast size in a bra, but desires improvement in shape.
2. Nipple position sits at or below the level of the breast crease (inframammary fold)
3. Significant amount of loose skin and breast tissue, which hangs over the crease leading to a hollow appearance in the upper pole of the breast.
Candidates for Breast Augmentation (Primary Breast Size Concern):
1. Patient is happy with nipple position and amount of skin in relation to crease.
2. Desires increase in volume of breast to increase bra cup size and provide more cleavage and fullness to upper and lower pole of breast.
In many cases, patients have concerns of both size and shape, therefore requiring a breast augmentation with a breast lift to achieve desired results. I hope this helps.
Implants +/- lift
Implants in general do not lift the breasts too much, and in your case you will also need a breast lift.
You need both a breast lift and implants
You will obtain the best result with a vertical (or 'lollipop') breast lift, as well as implants to fill out the upper breasts.
I can certainly understand you concern about the scars. However, patients generally are very pleased with the improvements in size and shape as well as the decrease in the areolas. The scars somehow seem much less bothersome when the breasts are more beautiful.
Implants + sagging breasts = large, sagging breasts
In my opinion, implants would not provide you with sufficent lift and could resutl in the appearance of a larger more "saggy" breast
Breast lifting from implants
The amount of lifting of the breasts from insertion of breast implants is minimal, and a simple breast augmentation in your case would most likely produce a suboptimal result. You should consider a short scar or vertical incision type of breast lift (mastopexy) performed concurrently with the augmentation.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.