Will Implants Be Enough to Lift and Fill out my Breasts?

I would like a simple breast lift but I am African-American and horribly afraid of the scar. Will implants be enough to lift my breasts and fill them out? What do you recommend?

Implants do not lift a breast

+2

Implants increase cup size, they do not treat sagging. This is a common misconception that many people have. Yes they can fill out and temporarily perk up a sagging breast, but the implant falls to the lower pole of the breast. You therefore have aggravation of sagging as time passes, and a larger, saggier version of yourself. You need a lift, and there is the trade off of scarring. There is no other way, or we would be doing it that way. Just because you are African American does not mean you will have bad scars. Everyone heals differently, and I have performed this operation on individuals of all ethnicities with excellent scar quality. 

Based on your pictures, you do need a lift

+1
Although no conclusive recommendation can be made based on pictures alone, from what I see I would strongly recommend that you consider a breast lift.  It does add scars to your breasts but in my opinion a lollipop scar is better than a ball in a sock look you would get if you get an augmentation alone.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast implant and lift

+1
It is difficult to say whether you would require a breast lift as well without a physical examination, however it may help if ptosis is severe.  

In some cases, breast augmentation alone can make the breast "perkier” without a breast lift.  

Scarring can be reduced by following your surgeon's post-surgery care instructions and keeping the scars out of the sun. Sun exposure can cause permanent darkening. You can also consider topical scar treatments once the steristrips have fallen off. Talk to your surgeon about silicone gel and silicone sheeting. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Implant

+1

Unfortunately the implants will not lift your breasts, if you have scars from other surgery or trauma that have not had keloids I would not be worried about excessive scarring

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast Lift with Augmentation

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.   I do recommend a lift with your breast augmentation. In terms of scarring, I would recommend silicone therapy immediately postop and start aggressive scar massage at 4 weeks.  Here are my criteria: 

Candidates for a Breast Lift (Primary Breast Shape Concern):

1.  Patient is happy with breast size in a bra, but desires improvement in shape.

2.  Nipple position sits at or below the level of the breast crease (inframammary fold)

3.  Significant amount of loose skin and breast tissue, which hangs over the crease leading to a hollow appearance in the upper pole of the breast.

Candidates for Breast Augmentation (Primary Breast Size Concern):

1.  Patient is happy with nipple position and amount of skin in relation to crease.

2.  Desires increase in volume of breast to increase bra cup size and provide more cleavage and fullness to upper and lower pole of breast.

In many cases, patients have concerns of both size and shape, therefore requiring a breast augmentation with a breast lift to achieve desired results.  I hope this helps.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implants +/- lift

+1

Implants in general do not lift the breasts too much, and in your case you will also need a breast lift.

You need both a breast lift and implants

+1

You will obtain the best result with a vertical (or 'lollipop') breast lift, as well as implants to fill out the upper breasts.

I can certainly understand you concern about the scars. However, patients generally are very pleased with the improvements in size and shape as well as the decrease in the areolas. The scars somehow seem much less bothersome when the breasts are more beautiful.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Implants + sagging breasts = large, sagging breasts

+1

In my opinion, implants would not provide you with sufficent lift and could resutl in the appearance of a larger more "saggy" breast

Breast lifting from implants

+1

The amount of lifting of the breasts from insertion of breast implants is minimal, and a simple breast augmentation in your case would most likely produce a suboptimal result. You should consider a short scar or vertical incision type of breast lift (mastopexy) performed concurrently with the augmentation.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Implants or Breast Lift

+1

Implants will only fill empty or small breast area but won’t lift the breast or nipple. If the nipple is falling below the inframammary crease than you probably need a lift.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon