Average Cost of Anesthesia for Breast Augmentation?

I have my consultation on Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out how much the average cost of general anesthesia is because I think I'm just going to get local anesthesia...

Anesthesia costs will vary

Hi there-

Just like surgeons, the fees anesthesia providers will vary depending on the reputation and skills of the providers, the drugs used, the length of the procedure, and the provider's credentials (nurse anesthetists will charge less than a Board Certified Anesthesiologist would).

Only your chosen surgeon would be able to tell you what costs would be reasonable for you to expect...

Remember to prioritize your safety and happiness above costs, though. This cannot be over-emphasized.

Breakdown of the costs of Breast augmentation

The prices of Breast Augmentation, Lift, or full mommy make overs as well as revisions can vary widely from city to city. For example, a breast augmentation can cost 3-4 times in LA and New York what it costs in Montana.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).  This is an hourly fee, and if the surgeon is taking his time to make the result as meticulous as possible, the anesthesia fee will be higher.  This also varies if the technique of the surgery takes longer or shorter as above.
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for Breast Augmentation

Anesthesia fees will vary across the country and even in the same city.  For breast augmentation, our fees generally range from $600 to $1500 depending on the scope of the surgery.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work with personalized care at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Anesthesia Costs

I agree that, while some surgeons will do breast augmentation with local anesthesia, the majority will encourage you to have general anesthesia.  You will be happier not trying to save the money there.

Second, I encourage you to make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and that that person is someone you would trust after meeting with them at your consultation.

In Columbus, Ohio, our total costs for breast augmentation are currently $4500-5100 for saline implants and $5000-5900 for silicone implants.  Anesthesia accounts for $650-750 of that cost for 2 to 2 1/2 hours of general anesthesia.

Anessthesia costs and breast augmentation

Anesthesia costs will vary depending on the length of the procedure, credentials of the health care provider as well as regional variations. Fees can range from $450 to $900 for a typical breast augmentation. I would highly recommend general anesthesia for under the muscle placement.

Anesthesia Cost in Texas Area

I've found that in our area of South Texas the average anesthesia cost is usually between $600-$750. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia cost for breast augmentation

The cost for general anesthesia varies depending on the surgery center/hospital and if it is done by an MD or by a CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthetist).  In general it's about 300-400 per hour. The procedure usually lasts one hour. 

If you are having your implants placed under the muscle (subpectoral) it will generally need to be done under general anesthesia. If they implants are being placed in front of the muscle (subglandular) it can be done under local with sedation.  I would not skimp on the anesthesia for this procedure and would recommend general.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist prior to scheduling your surgery.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Anesthesia cost for breast augmentation

The fee really depends upon the region of the country and the length or type of surgery.  You should ask your surgeon's office those fees up front.

Average Cost of Anesthesia for Breast Augmentation

Great question. But first I must vehemently recommend against local anesthesia for sub muscular augmentation! Now the range of anesthesiologist fees in Miami are from $300/ hour to a package of $450 for the operation. Hope this helps. Be careful. 

Cost of Anesthesia for Cosmetic Surgery

The anesthesiologists that I work  with provide anesthesia for cosmetic surgery at a very reasonable cost.  This will vary, however, among different communities.  The surgeon with whom you are consulting should be able to give you this info for your area.

John Whitt, MD (retired)