4 Weeks After Breast Aug - Severe Pain in Right Breast, Ribs and Right Lung

I had a breast augmentation 4 weeks ago. My right breast is now hurting really bad. I take deep breaths and my right lung hurts and my rib and back on that same side are extremely painful. I started feeling very tired and get the chills on and off. I dont even want to move my right arm. I had surgery under the muscle.

Unusual symptoms 1 month after a breast augmentation.

+1

The symptoms you are describing of feeling pain in your ribs, back, fevers, chills, difficulty breathing are all very abnormal 1 month after a breast augmentation. Hopefully you are reading this response after having been treated. Obvious concerns are for a pulmonary embolism or significant infection. You need to be seen and evaluated by either your plastic surgeon or in the ER.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

The symptoms you  are describing - pain, especially when taking a deep breath, chills and fatigue - are not normal at 4 weeks post breast augmentation.  These symptoms could be associated with an infection, a pulmonary embolus (blood clot), or a pneumothorax (collapsed lung).  Check with your surgeon, immediately, to properly assess your condition. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - 4 WeeksPostOp - Severe Pain in Right Breast, Ribs and Right Lung

+1

Hi hmasucci85,

I hope you're not even reading this until after this issue has been treated and resolved.

This is NOT normal and you need to contact your PS right away.

It may, in fact, turn out to be something relatively small and/or will just go away on its own over the next few days.  But you CANNOT assume that.  On the contrary, you may have any of several potentially significant issues, such as a blood clot with embolism, infection, muscle tear or even a problem with your lung.

I know this sounds vague - but these issues are potentially very severe.  You should call your PS ASAP and if there's even the slightest delay or hesitation, go to an Emergency Room and call him or her from there.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

What you describe in not normal and can be related to anything from infection to nerve damage.  See your surgeon soon.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Pain after 4 weeks

+1

the pain you describe on inspiration and in the back and chest is very worrisome for a pulmonary embolism. you need to be evaluated by your doctor ASAP with a Spiral CT to r/o PE and doppler/US of the pelvis and lower extremities to make sure you do not have a DVT.  Infections make themselves known are generally not lethal. unfortunately, DVT/PE is extremely dangerous. If your surgery took longer than 1 hour, you are overweight, on birth control pills, or a history of clotting probelms your risk might be higher than normal. get seen now.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Severe pain following breast augmentation

+1

Severe pain in your chest 4 weeks after breast augmentation is not normal and you should certainly see your doctor as a matter of some urgency. 

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation 4 weeks

+1

This is not a typical scenario following a breast aumentation. Please see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. You may have an infection.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast pain 4 weeks after surgery should be looked at by your plastic surgeon

+1
If you are having such severe discomfort after your surgery, you should be examined by your plastic surgeon to ensure you do not have infection given that you're getting chills.  Also you may need a chest x-ray to make sure your lungs are OK.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD