Is There Any Way to Get my Breasts Closer Together Without Going Back Under the Knife?

I'm two weeks post-op. I went from a 32AA to a 32C. I had 400cc silicon implants placed under the muscle. My doctor said that I had very little breast tissue and one of my natural breast is slightly larger than the other before the surgery. My breasts are now far apart and my left breast also hangs lower than my right. Are there any type of sports bra that can bring them closer together. I noticed that they are further apart when I get up in the morning after lying on my back all night.

Gettining implants to move to the middle after surgery

+2

I am not sure that a sports bra will due the trick, more likely the better choice is an under-wire bra that will push the implants to the middle. I think that there will be some more natural appearance after the muscles relax a bit, but in some patients that have a wide breast bone to start, cleavage might be limited when implants are placed below the muscle.

Help it out!

+2

Discuss your condition with your surgeon to rule out widening of the implant pockets sideways which can be corrected only surgically if it has become permanent.

However, right after surgery, you may be able to help the closure of the outer pockets by applying compression to either sides.

• You can accomplish this by wearing soft, bundled up wash cloth between your sports bra and the outer sides of your breasts day and night.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Space between breasts(cleavage) two weeks after breast implants

+2

Two weeks is far to early to evaluate the final appearance of your surgery.  However, my guess is that your "cleavage" will probably not improve very much.   With implants under the muscle, moving them closer to the center would tend to separate the origin of the muscle from the ribcage, and with so little tissue at the inner part of the breast, the central separation will not likely improve.

But look at the swimming suit catalogs -- beautiful breasts come in a very wide variety of shapes.  Cleavage is not required.

James Nachbar, MD

Augmentation mammoplasty improving cleavage ?

+2

Thanks for posting your photo . It appears that your 400 ml. implants are sligthly too large for your frame which enhances the distance between your nipples . If you review your before surgery pictures you will find out that your breasts were  formed naturally apart.from each other. Your surgeon has done a great job of positioning your implants in proper place ( center of implants exactly under your nipples) . Do not try to move your implants closer together to have a nicer cleavage. Garment or taping will not do, and evenif it happens your nipples would not be sitting at the center if implants & your breast would look funny. When choosing bras , pick up the types which has low &lateral under- wire cups. You will be amazed how helpful they are.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation -getting it right the first time

+2

For optimal breast aesthetics we like to have the line between the notch above the breast bone and the nipples and another between the nipples themselves form an equilateral triangle. Then we want the breast tissue and implants centered under the nipples. In your case the internipple distance (base of the triangle) is slightly longer than the other 2 sides of the triangle but the nipples still point straight forward. When the base of the triangle becomes very long the nipples point out to the sides. Your implants look centered under the nipples horizontally and the 2 sides are close to symmetric but the implants are just a bit high of center in the vertical dimension. This will likely settle down with time and gravity.

Breast implants cannot create cleavage if it did not exist prior to their placement. Since you were an AA cup you did not have cleavage before surgery and so cannot get it afterward. The base of the triangle could have been decreased at the time of surgery by medial crescent mastopexies to give the illusion that the implants are closer together. This however would have given you some additional skin scarring. Your current result is about as good as could be expected given what you started with. The final result is dependent on the amount of natural breast tissue vs. implant material and how well the natural tissue covers the implant among other factors. Since you are early after surgery the implant position is still shiftable so the best thing you could do is wear a bra most of the time. This will help with what you see as outward shifting of the implants while sleeping.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Why There is Space Between Breasts

+2

There are natural anatomic factors that affect the space between your breasts:

• The width of your natural breast tissue:
    • how much space was present between your breasts before augmentation
    • how much breast tissue you have
  • The implant position is necessarily centered behind the nipple
  • The width of your breast bone (sternum)
    • the implants can not be positioned over the breast bone without risking symmastia, a loss of separation between the implant pockets
      • this is sometimes referred to as "uniboob," because the implants touch across the center of the chest, with loss of cleavage.
  • The size of the implants: enough volume to create cleavage when you wear a bra
  • The width of the implants
    • this has the least effect on the space between your breasts and is still limited by the edge of the breast bone. 

At only 2 weeks post-op, your breasts have not fully softened and taken their "final" shape.

• As your breasts soften, the appearance will change and may give a softer look to the space between your breasts.
  • It takes time for the tissue overlying the implants to relax and grow: expect to see changes for another 5-6 months. 
  • As the skin relaxes, the upper pole fullness will soften and the lower pole ( the part of the breast below the nipple) will soften and become more round.
  • As this happens, the differences between the breasts should lessen

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Wide space between breast implants

+2

Developing an optimum amount of medial breast fullness is often difficult in women with minimal breast tissue and I don't think it is related to your implant positioning which seems appropriate. The implants are situated behind the pectoralis muscle and cannot be moved closer together or they would disrupt the origin of the muscle on the chest wall and create potential deformities. Unfortunately, with minimal breast tissue patients, a wider space may be apparent between the breasts which is unavoidable. I would recommend a standard sports bra during the first month In general for support but I don't think this will produce any significant "movement" of the implant position. Expect the implants to drop slightly in the vertical direction over the next month or two.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Wide Cleavage

+2

It looks like you had a fairly wide sternum/cleavage that was present prior to the augmentation. The chances of getting the implants closer without another surgery are pretty slim. The fact that they fall to the back when you lie down means that the lateral pocket is a little large. That pocket can be closed off and the implants can be a moved a little closer. However, moving them closer also means that you have some risk of more visibility of the inside part of the implant as the tissue is very thin. Good Luck

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Show me the cleavage.

+1

All breast implants do is make breasts larger.  They do not change the shape or position of the breast and cannot be expected to correct all asymmetry.  A wide sternum preoperatively usually means the breasts will be widely spaced postoperatively.  If your implants were moved medially, they would push your nipples laterally which could look odd.   

You need to address these questions to your operating surgeon.  He/she can explain any limitations your anatomy presented, review you preoperative photos with you and if it is reasonable, may want to consider revision in the future. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Moving breast implants closer together

+1

It is likely that the midline border of the pectoralis major muscle will determine how close together your breast will be.  Using a support bra that pushes the implants toward the midline, especially within the first few weeks following surgery, may help you to achieve your desired result.  Patients should discuss this with their surgeons before moving the implants.

David Stoker, MD