Sculptra Under Eyes

My doctor said I would benefit from using Sculptra for the little criss cross wrinkles and bagging under my eyes. I haven't read much on Sculptra being used in this area. She tried Botox, but it doesn't really do too much in that area. I just turned 44 years old and am fair-skinned. I am also concerned about excessive bruising in that area. Any advise for using Sculptra on this area for eye bags and wrinkles? Thanks!

Sculptra can reduce the appearance of eyelid hollows

+2

Sculptra can actually reduce the hollows under your eyes. It is important to realize that sculptra achieves this effect indirectly in a manner very different from other fillers. Where fillers such as restylane or juvederm. Can be injected above or at the inferior orbital rim (the lower rim of your eyelids)to improve the tear trough area, sculptra should not be injected above or right at the margin of inferior orbital rim. I inject sculptra just under the inferior orbital rim over the upper cheek bone to reduce the size of the lower eyelid hollow. This technique can be very effective in reducing the appoearance of sunken eyes.

Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra injection to be avoided along under eyes

+2

There have been reports of nodularity when Sculptra injection is performed along lower eyelids and is to be avoided. Experienced physician Sculptra injectors will not go above the orbital rim of the eye sockets. On the other hand, it may be okay to massage the recently injected Sculptra along the upper cheeks close to the orbital rim immediately after the Sculptra injection to conservatively achieve some volume restoration in the area.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra not for eyes.

+2

Sculptra is not recommended in the under eye area or any area where the skin is very thin. There is a low but real risk of bumps that can last for years.  Best to keep the Sculptra in the cheek where it produces a nice restoration of volume.  Actually when the cheeks are full the under eye area can look better.  I will generally advise fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane for the immediate under eye region.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Avoid sculptra near the eyes

+2

I would avoid Scupltra near your eyes. All the patients that have been referred to me with scupltra bumps have had it near the eyes. I don't think the benefit  is worth the risk.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sculptra under the eyes is not a good idea since this is an area that forms nodules

+2

Sculptra under the eyes is not a good idea because it is an area that forms nodules. I have personally had Sculptra treatments and unfortunately have gotten nodules under the eye. These nodules can be very irritating to the eye, in my case stimulating an itching and aching feeling in my lower eye area. This reaction sunsided in a few months but I wouldn't want my patients to experience this so I don't inject in this area. There are many other fillers that wrok well in this area without the risk.

I do however feel Sculptra in the cheeks and temples works well and can have a wonderful, and youthful result. So I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water. Also, I was injected by a very skillful expert in this area and so I feel nodule formation is site dependent and not physician dependent. In other words nodules occur in the best hands in certain patients, in certain areas of the face.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Sculptra training specifically recommends that it not be used in the eyelids or lips

+2

Sculptra was just released for cosmetic use.

I have just taken the new training module. As most trainers have recommended, it should not be used in the lips or eyelids. 

Enough said.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Do not use Sculptra under eyes.

+2

To Specka,

Hi! Sculptra was designed to fill in hollow cheeks, requires more than one treatment, and is irreversible (if you get a lump, there is no way to dissolve it).

1) Lower eyelid bags can be improved with injections, depending on your anatomy. The best filler for this area (also the one we have the most experience with) is Restylane, injected DEEPLY. It lasts a long time in this area (over 9 months), and it is potentially reversible if necessary.

2) The very fine lower eyelid criss cross lines don't respond well to fillers of any kind. For these, you need some combination of Botox, resurfacing with a dual modality erbium laser, or lid surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sculptra Under Eyes

+1

Thank you for your question. There are many fillers can be use for under the eyes (tear trough) area.  I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Sculptra is wonderful, but not under the eyes

+1

Sculptra is a collagen (read: volume) stimulator. It is a wonderful product and one of my favorites. But it is not recommended for use in the thin under eye area. It's not really a good treatment for fine wrinkles at all. It is ideal for stimulating collagen production in the hollow areas of the face and can improve the quality of the skin in the cheeks when placed with the right technique. It's an ideal way to restore balance to the aging face. Be sure to see a physician who routinely uses a lot of Sculptra. This is a product where experience is important.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra Under Eyes

+1

Sculptra can be used in this area with some caution.  It is important that you avoid injecting above the orbital rim.  The injection will not reduce the "bags" but can soften their appearance.  There is always a risk of bruising with injections but avoiding products such as aspirin, advil, aleve, vitamin E, and fish oil can help minimize the risk.  I also recommend pre-treating with Arnica.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD