Kind of Scars to Expect from Medial Thigh Lift?

I've decided to have a medial thigh lift. I'd rather have a couple of scars than loose skin. At least I can wear shorts! I'm really curious as to what to expect. I've heard of "scar migration" and the scar widening and getting larger. I've heard of holes that form, and horrible lumpy scars. But I've never seen a healed picture of the scars because they're covered by garments and closed legs! So I'd like to know what to expect. Will they flatten? Will they ever turn white, or stay lumpy and red?

Scars depend on you and your surgeon

+5

Without a doubt medial thigh lifts are probably one of the most tricky body contouring surgeries. The key to a good scar in the medial thigh and anywhere is to have no tension on the skin when it's closed. This requires only the appropriate amount of skin to be removed AND securing the deep fascia or fibrous layer to the deep layer in the groin.

The scar also depends on your skin tone and color. A pale Caucasian will tend to scar better than a darker skinned patient. And a patient with good skin tone will scar better than one with poor tone.

So it really depends on a lot of factors. As long as your surgeon knows the anatomy and how to do the surgery and you have good skin tone you should end up with a good scar.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Thigh Lift

+4

It really depends on who does your procedure.  Thigh lift surgery is not as easy as you may think.  It needs a lot of attention for it to be done well.  When performed accuratley, the scar does not migrate much.  The incision must be placed within the groin crease.  The crease must be reconstructed afterwards meticulously.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Medial thigh lift

+4

Medial thigh lift is a major procedure with atleast 3 weeks of down time.

In medial thigh lift we fix the scar to the bone cover with permanent sutures. These sutures cause puckering of the skin initially, but these are the sutures when well placed prevent migration of the scar.

They will flatten with time. It takes a year for the scars to settle.

Medial Thigh Lift scar information

+4

The scars for the medial thigh lift are hidden in the groin area, and can sometimes extend along the inner thigh. Over time, the scars should flatten and become less noticeable. Exactly how noticeable they end up can depend on several variables.

Skin tone and elasticity will play a role, as well as color. A caucasian’s scarring will be less noticeable than the scarring on a dark skinned person. A person with good skin tone and elasticity will heal better than if the skin has poor tone and elasticity.

Generally though, the scar that is left behind is well worth being rid of the hanging, excess skin which is present before surgery. Scars can also have a vertical component along the inner thigh, depending on the quantity of skin to be removed. The best option is to speak with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, have them to perform a physical exam, and go from there.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

Position of incisions with thigh lift surgery - Body lift procedures after weight loss.

+3

There are three variations of a standard medial thigh lift that can be hidden to reduce visibility.  I perform medial thigh lift procedures as an outpatient procedure and choose to mark these incision patterns in the upright position, prone, and supine positions to decrease visibility.  The incisions go along the groin margin or vertically in the medial thigh. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Medial thigh lift scars

+3

The scar for the usual medial thigh lift is placed in the groin crease, which should be covered by clothing.  Unfortunately, due to gravity, the scars may move, or migrate, down the legs to rest beyond the groin and thus not be covered by a swimsuit.  Your surgeon should be able to show you some of his results including scars to help answer your concerns.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Medial thigh lift scar possibilities

+3

There are two basic ways to do a medial thigh lift. One is to take a crescent of skin out from the upper medial thigh and hide the scar in the groin crease. This sounds logical, and is the more traditional technique. However, these scars can be notoriously problematic, with slow healing and frequent wound problems. Plus, the effect of this lift diminishes the farther from the groin, so it does little for the area above the knees if you have any looseness there.

The procedure I tend to prefer, especially for patients with significant weight loss and loose thigh skin from groin to knee, is a vertical approach. Although the scar does extend down the inner thigh, the contour result and the scar quality tend to be much better.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Inner Thigh Lift Scars

+2

Luckee_Rene_Roe,

Thigh lift scars are usually long and relatively visible (at least initially).  However a well planned surgery will leave them in the inner most part of your thighs where there are least visible.

Because of the visibility of these scars, you need to have rather significant excess of skin to make it a worthwhile trade... trading excess skin fold for a scar.  In general, however, in a well selected patient these procedures can make a world of a difference.

Depending on your skin type, the scar may fade away and loose it's redness, or it may remain dark coloured.  If that is the case, there are scar treatments that can help fade the colour.  Silicone dressings, bio oil, vitamin E are some of the treatments people have tried to use to minimize the appearance of a scar.  Lasers and IPL and some creams can be used to reduce the pigmentation of the scars.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scars from thigh lifts run down the inner part of the leg in the same place as seams of pants.

+2

Thigh lifts can be very difficult operations. The incision for a full thigh lift starts at the knee and runs up the leg along the inner aspect and curves up near the groin to end in the upper thigh crease. Occasionally a smaller incision can be done which is just in the thigh crease but this does not improve the contour of any part of the thigh except the very inner top part. For patients with a lot of loose skin the scar is worth it, for patients with only a little skin the scars would not be worth it. It is best to consult with a plastic surgeon who has experience in these types of surgery to see if the improvement in contour would be worth it for the scars.

Susan E. Downey, MD

Scars after Thigh Lift

+2

Spend some time with your plastic surgeon. Thigh lifts are not easy procedures, but my patients have all felt the scars are worth the tightening of the skin. Find a surgeon who does thigh lifts frequently and has enough experience. I would recommend a surgeon certified by the AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY. You can find one in your area .

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon