Scar Revision on Open Heart Surgery Scars?

I had open heart surgery at the age of 10 and hate my scar. I am now 40 years old (female). Can they do Scar revisions on this type of scar?

Scar revision of heart surgery scar

+1

Yes, you may be able to have revision of your chest scar from heart surgery. It all depends upon how it looks and what you expect in terms of a result.  Without evaluating your scar and taking a history, it would be difficult to tell.

Scars after heart surgery

+1

In general, no. The chest doesn't heal well after open heart surgery procedures. It's just one of those places that heal poorly with regard to scarring. Thus, any scar revision would likely result in the same type of scar. Having said that, it's difficult to give you an accurate opinion without seeing you in person. If you had a terrible keloid scar (growing outside the boundries of your wound) then scar revision may improve it but this would be the extreme minority of cases. Sorry, I don't have better news for you.

Elan B. Singer, MD