Will Fillers Help for Depressed Surgery Scar?

I have a depressed facial scar with some large pores around it. The scar is on the cheek and was a surgical scar. I am considering a filler. Can this option be successful? Thanks.

Improving scars that are depressed with subcision

+1

Often, these scars can be further improved with percutaneous scar release and Juvederm injections or Belotero injections.

Fillers almost always fail to fix depressed scars.

+1

Facial fillers usually fail in the attempt to raise a depressed scar.  The scar is simply too rigid.  Revision is indicated in almost all circumstances.

SCAR REVISION FOLLOWED BY FAT GRAFTING

+1

I recommend scar  excision  followed by dermabrasion at 2-3 weeks if required.Fat injection can be done to further refine the results at 3-6 months.Actually a lot depends on your skin type & the procol can be decided after examination only.

If you are looking for a non surgical option ,one could do a HA filler injection along with subcision on 2-3 occasions, at six monthly intervals.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Cheek scar can be improved with filler or scar revision

+1

I would agree with my colleagues that while filler can be effective it is temporary. Subcision at the time of filler injection does help to lift the scar away from deeper tissues. A permanent solution would be scar excision, meticulous closure and possible dermabrasion to provide the best possible result.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Scar

+1

A filler could help your facial scar but only to a certain extent. It will also be temporarily as fillers only last for a time period. It could improve your depressed facial scar. You might require subcision of the scar to free attachment to deeper planes in addition to the filler.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Consider fat grafting more more permanent results

+1

Subcision (lifting the skin by undermining it from the tethered scar from a needle puncture) followed by a filler can provide a nice result, but using your own autologous fat in to that can give more permanent results.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for depressed scars

+1

A depressed scar of the cheek can be improved with fillers. However, fillers are temporary and would need to be repeated (which gets very costly over time). A more permanent solution would involve fat grafting or even dermal fat grafting. If the scar is actually adherent to the underlying bone, surgical release prior to fat grafting can help tremendously.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Filler is temporary

+1

If scars look like they should benefit by scar revision I usually recommend this as the benefits of scar revision do not go away with time. Fillers (at least the safe ones) do. Scar revision for smaller scars can be done in the office under local (numbing shots) to keep the cost down and make things more simple.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Filling a depressed scar

+1

If the scar is depressed, the best non-surgical treatment would be needle subcision followed by filler. This works well in most cases. If the scar is wide, often surgical revision may be needed. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon