Is It Safe to Swim 5 weeks After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation 2weeks ago and am just wondering if 5weeks is long enough for healing that I can swim while on vacation in October.

Swimming after Breast Augmentation

It is perfectly safe to go swimming at five weeks. I permit my patients to swim in a pool at two weeks unless there has been a wound healing problem. The incision heals very quickly and is impervious to bacteria in a matter of days. Go for it and enjoy your new look.

Wait 6 weeks...

Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following cosmetic surgery.Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can result in an increased potential for complications.Swimming and spending time in the Jacuzzi are both activities that could potentially have negative consequences if resumed too soon.
Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed.In reality, small absorbable interrupted sutures may break through the skin and become exposed.In this situation, infection could occur in a patient who is submerged in a Jacuzzi, pool, pond or ocean.Each of these environments may have unique and, in many cases, antibiotic resistant bacteria that could lead to a significant infection.
In addition, plastic surgeons generally don’t recommend resumption of strenuous activities for at least 6 weeks following breast augmentation surgery.Swimming can create significant strain on the core muscles and should therefore, be avoided in the immediate post-operative period.
It’s important to remember that every patient’s procedure and post-operative course is unique.For these reasons, make sure you consult your plastic surgeon before getting into the water.

Swimming 5 weeks After Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to activity resumption after breast  augmentation surgery. From the healing standpoint most patients are able to swim again starting 3 to 6 weeks after surgery.

From the safety standpoint,  much of the timing of returning to swimming will depend on exactly what you mean by “swimming while on vacation”. For some people this means wading knee-high in small waves;  for some people it may means swimming  long distances in choppy water.  For this reason, return to activities should be individualized  and gradual.  

Maybe possible to swim

Swimming may be possible at 5 weeks if you do not strain too hard, but it's better to wait at least 6 weeks.  Ask your surgeon for their advice, though.

Is it safe to swim 6 weeks after breast augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Timing for swimming after breast implant augmentation

With a straightforward breast augmentation, swimming is usually possible 5 weeks after surgery but I wouldn't recommend diving off the hihg dive. If you underwent a lift or other procedure, I would be less  hesitant to permit you until 6 weeks. YOu should discuss this with your surgeon.

If the incisions are completely healed then swimming at this time is permissible

Given your incisions have healed properly then submerging your breasts underwater at 5 weeks after your surgery is permissible. If your incisions still have crusting or scabbing on the surface this might indicate incomplete healing and the possibility of small openings that would admit water into the pocket housing the implant. Since pool water contains bacteria this could lead to an infection. If you are uncertain as to how well your incisions are healed it is always best to have your surgeon pass judgment on their condition before going swimming.

David A. Ross, MD

Swimming after breast augmentation

Most activities may usually be resumed 4 weeks after breast augmentation, and swimming is not contraindicated as long as your incisions are closed and healing normally. Always check with your plastic surgeon beforehand.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Swimming after breast augmentation

Provided your incision has healed normally and adequately, you should be able to swim five weeks after breast augmentation surgery.  Once the scar has begun to heal, it is safe to be in water.  However you should wait several weeks because swimming pools, oceans, jacuzzi's, etc. have lots of bacteria which can potentially infect the incision.

Consult with your board certified plastic surgeon prior to swimming, but five weeks should be fine.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD