Is It Safe to Swim 5 weeks After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation 2weeks ago and am just wondering if 5weeks is long enough for healing that I can swim while on vacation in October.

Swimming after Breast Augmentation

+2

It is perfectly safe to go swimming at five weeks. I permit my patients to swim in a pool at two weeks unless there has been a wound healing problem. The incision heals very quickly and is impervious to bacteria in a matter of days. Go for it and enjoy your new look.

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to activity resumption after breast  augmentation surgery. From the healing standpoint most patients are able to swim again starting 3 to 6 weeks after surgery.

From the safety standpoint,  much of the timing of returning to swimming will depend on exactly what you mean by “swimming while on vacation”. For some people this means wading knee-high in small waves;  for some people it may means swimming  long distances in choppy water.  For this reason, return to activities should be individualized  and gradual.  

Maybe possible to swim

+1
Normally, I recommend patients start exercising after three weeks, at which time you will be able to begin your regular exercise routine, specifically aerobic and lower body weight training. Upper body weight training and push-ups should not be done until six weeks after your surgery. Swimming may be possible if you do not strain too hard.

These guidelines are put into place to protect your body while it recovers. Any strenuous exercise too soon will increase your risk of developing complications, some of which require another surgery to correct.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Is it safe to swim 6 weeks after breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Timing for swimming after breast implant augmentation

+1

With a straightforward breast augmentation, swimming is usually possible 5 weeks after surgery but I wouldn't recommend diving off the hihg dive. If you underwent a lift or other procedure, I would be less  hesitant to permit you until 6 weeks. YOu should discuss this with your surgeon.

If the incisions are completely healed then swimming at this time is permissible

+1

Given your incisions have healed properly then submerging your breasts underwater at 5 weeks after your surgery is permissible. If your incisions still have crusting or scabbing on the surface this might indicate incomplete healing and the possibility of small openings that would admit water into the pocket housing the implant. Since pool water contains bacteria this could lead to an infection. If you are uncertain as to how well your incisions are healed it is always best to have your surgeon pass judgment on their condition before going swimming.

David A. Ross, MD

Swimming after breast augmentation

+1

Most activities may usually be resumed 4 weeks after breast augmentation, and swimming is not contraindicated as long as your incisions are closed and healing normally. Always check with your plastic surgeon beforehand.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Swimming after breast augmentation

+1

Provided your incision has healed normally and adequately, you should be able to swim five weeks after breast augmentation surgery.  Once the scar has begun to heal, it is safe to be in water.  However you should wait several weeks because swimming pools, oceans, jacuzzi's, etc. have lots of bacteria which can potentially infect the incision.

Consult with your board certified plastic surgeon prior to swimming, but five weeks should be fine.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Swimming after Breast augmentation

+1

I would allow you to swim 5 weeks following your augmentation assuming your wounds are well-healed and there are no other problems.  I agree with Dr. Stone that this a question which is best addressed to and answered by your operating surgeon.

John Whitt, MD

Swimming After 5 Weeks Should Be Fine

+1

As long as everything is well healed and your doctor has given you the ok, then you should have no issues at all.  I let my patients go swimming one week after surgery as long as everything is healing fine and there are no healing issues.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon