Is It Safe to Have a Rhinoplasty, Double-eyelid, and Jaw Reduction at the Same Time?

I plan on getting a rhinoplasty, double-eyelid, and jaw reduction surgery in the future. I prefer the idea of having multiple surgeries in one sitting to minimize recovery time. However, I am also aware that doing so may pose risks and many other factors are to be taken into consideration, such as blood loss, etc. My question is that is it safe/reasonable to have those three procedures in the same day?

Combined blepharoplasty and rhinoplasty

+2

I do not recommend combining the blepharoplasty and rhinoplasty.  The swelling from the rhinoplasty, particularly if it involves osteotomies and breaking the nasal bones, will cause bruising under the eyes and distort the contours of the face.  The goal of the bleph is to remove excess skin and performng the rhinoplasty at the same time works at cross purposes.  There are various methods of jaw reduction and, depending on the extent of the proposed surgery, it could be performed at the same time as other facial procedures.

Rhinoplasty, Double Eyelid, and Jaw Reduction at the Same Time

+2

Not only is it "safe/reasonable" to have these procedures done at the same time because we are not talking about that much surgery time and blood loss should be minimal but it is safer than having three different anesthetics and recovery will be significantly less. We frequently do multiple procedures at the same time.

Safety of Multiple Procedures with Rhinoplasty

+1

The key element is that rhinoplasty is one of the most complicated and finesse procedures done in plastic surgery. I would limit the number of procedures that you do with a rhinoplasty as this requires a lot of thought and timing as well as patient safety consideration for prolonged operative procedures more than 6 hours.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Rhinoplasty, Double-eyelid, and Jaw Reduction at the Same Time

+1

It should be Safe to Have a Rhinoplasty, Double-eyelid, and Jaw Reduction at the Same Time as long as your general health is OK.  The order in which the procedures are done is important.

Sam Naficy, MD

Combined procedure

+1

My answer would depend on what kind of jaw surgery you need.  If you need to have your jaw cut, moved, and then wired shut, I would advise against performing the rhinoplasty at the same time. The issue at that point would be one of airway management since you would have swelling of both the nasal and oral airway.  This would especially be a concern if the surgery is done on an outpatient basis.  It is an important consideration and one to discuss with your surgeon to see what their opinion is in the issue and find out if they do these combinations routinely.  The blood loss with these procedures is not a lot, so that should not be a problem.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Multiple Surgeries

+1

I perform rhinoplasty and blepharoplasty at the same time often. As far as combining jaw surgery , blepharoplasty and rhinoplasty,it depends on the type of jaw surgery. Surgery on the upper jaw or maxilla would not typically be combined with rhinoplasty in that the maxillary surgery alters the position of the nasal base.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

+1

It is both safe and reasonable to have this combination of procedures performed at the same time.  There should be a minimal blood loss from this combination of procedures and the length of the procedures and time under anesthesia should not be extensive which should make it very safe.  Also the procedures are in different facial areas and there should be any significant interaction between the procedures.

Michael Sundine, MD

Multiple procedures at one time

+1

Morning Jennifer,

You should be fine.  There is always some increased risk of medical complications the longer your are under anesthesia but not greatly increase.  You risk of blood loss is low and the jaw reduction procedure offers the greatest blood loss.  My practice is large majority Asian and I perform these procedures together often.  I just wanted to mention that performing your "double eyelid surgery" under anesthesia may not be the best plan.  You want the patient to be able to open their eyes to check for symmetry during the procedure.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining rhinoplasty with other facial plastic surgery procedures.

+1

In general, it is advisable to combine multiple facial plastic surgical procedures into one surgery because this decreases the overall anesthesia risk and the overall cost. 

Provided an individual is healthy, the greatest risk during anesthesia is the induction period at the beginning of the case.  Therefore, combined surgery reduces the number of anesthetic inductions. 

Combining various procedures is not recommended if one procedure will adversely compromise another procedure from a technical perspective.  In this case, the eyelid surgery should be performed first so that the swelling from the rhinoplasty does not interfere with the eyelid procedure. 

Mario J. Imola MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Aesthetic Facial Surgery Procedures Combined

+1

These three facial procedures are perfectly fine to put together. It is common to do three or more facial procedures at the same time. This saves surgical time, recovery and costs. Blood loss is not an issue in any facial procedure(s).

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD