Overly Narrowed Nose After Reduction Rhinoplasty, Could Fillers be a Good Option? (photo)

I recently posted a question regarding my overlynarrowed nose from a reduction rhinoplasty. I now posted a picture to help show my point. Would it be possible to experiment with fillers with a surgeon before actually undergoing the knife? Would this help solidify good communication between surgeon and I if I do non-surgical rhinoplasty before actual surgery? Thanks!

Dermal fillers vs revision rhinoplasty

+1

Dermal fillers in the nose can potentially cause problems.

If you plan to undergo revision rhinoplasty, it would be best if you don't have filler injection in the nose.

Dermal fillers can last a long time when placed in the nose which makes the accurate diagnosis and treatment of your deformity a bit problematic.

I would recommend that you visit a good rhinoplasty specialist with passion for getting great results!

Hope this helps,

Ali Sajjadian, MD

Fillers for nose

+1

Fillers are an OK option although you should know that they can last for a long time in the nose and may complicate efforts of a revision surgery

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

If you want to see how it would look if it was wider you could just ask the surgeon to inject some saline along the sides of the nose. It does not make much sense to me to have him/her inject a dermal filler to enhance communication between you and the surgeon or to try them out. What if he/she is a great surgeon but not so great a dermal filler injector?

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Overly Narrowed Nose After Reduction Rhinoplasty, Could Fillers be a Good Option?

+1

Sure, fillers could be used in that area as a temporary measure.  If the pronounced edges are from a nasal implant on the bridge, some gentle massage can decrease the appearance of the vertical indentations on the sides of the nose IMO.

Fillers to correct post rhinoplasty flaws

+1

Fillers are not a bad temporary option. I like the idea of it helping your communication with your future revision surgeon. However, because a surgeon is adept at fillers doesn't necessarily mean the same results will be delivered especially with as complex a problem as a revision. Evaluate your surgeon very carefully and look at all before after images and evidence of your surgeon's level of expertise. This is typically evidenced by academic invitations and involvement, number of cases performed, and ability to handle a large spectrum of nasal types and ethnicities, as well as revisions.  You may require outfracturing of your nasal bones and spreader grafts, as well as contour grafts etc.

Good luck in your search.

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Dermal fillers versus revision rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi jnoland23.  Dermal fillers can be used in selected sites of the nose to augment small deficiencies.  They are not, however, a substitute for revision surgery long term and need to be regularly re-injected.  They certainly can be used to better communicate your desires with your surgeon with the understanding that you wait a sufficient period of time for the filler to completely resorb prior to revision rhinoplasty.  You may also try simply injecting local anesthetic which may give you the effect you are after.  This carries no cost and dissipates within a few hours.  Keep in mind that, as with computer simulation, surgery will likely not exactly duplicate the simulated result following dermal filler injection.  

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for Narrow Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Fillers can be used but I don't recommend that you use them as an experiment or to build rapport with your surgeon. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.