Right After Liposuction My Stomach is Hard and Swollen, Is this Normal?

After liposuction my stomach is huge with swelling and turned hardest than Play Doh. If you push on it and it indents. Is there something wrong. I'm worried of how hard the whole area is and how huge the hardened area is

Swelling after abdominal liposuction

+2

Yes, this is quite normal. The compression garment should minimize this, provided you wear it 24/7 for about a month. A word of caution- if this swelling becomes unbearably painful, you start experiencing fever/chills- call your PS immediately.

Expect for the swelling to migrate toward your lower limbs and even in your genitalia. All this is temporary and should clear in a few weeks. Once the swelling reaches your feet - elevation (propping feet up periodically) helps keep the swelling down and your shoes on! Hope this helps, Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Expect some swelling after any type of liposuction.

+1

After liposuction there will be swelling of the area worked on and this is normal.  The swelling is caused by fluid in the tissues which is your body's normal response to a surgical injury.  When you press your fingers into the tissue, the fluid is displaced temporarily and this is why there are dents.  This swelling should gradually subside and as it does the firmness will disappear.  This may take several weeks to months to fully resolve, so patience is needed.  I recommend you could check in with your plastic surgeon, just to set your mind at ease.

If you are concerned following liposuction, check back with you doctor.

+1

Any time you are concerned about a surgical procedure and possible complications, you should check back with the doctor who did the procedure.  He/she knows your history and what was done during the operation.  Your own doctor is in the best postion to answer your questions and help you.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

After Lipo My Stomach is Hard and Swollen, Is this Normal?Answer:

+1

This is totally normal and gets better with time, compression and massage (I even have my patients use a rolling pin,tho many women don't have one of those anymore!). And don't be surprised if you continue to have some swelling noticed even three months later. You may still notice a little indentation from your belt even that far out from surgery..Give your results a good 6 months or more!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question. This is part of the healing process but if you have any questions or concerns, I would ask that you follow up with your surgeon.  I ask my liposuction patients to wear a compression garment for 4 weeks post op surgery to help with the swelling.  The swelling can take months to subside until you see the final results.  Best Wishes!

Swelling after liposuction

+1
This is completely normal and part of the healing process. I hope that your plastic surgeon explained the course of postop healing to you. Whenever there is surgery, you can expect swelling. This will begin to ease and you should start to diurese some of the fluid which has mobilized into your abdominal tissues.

Robert L. Kraft, MD