Tt with Lip of Flanks, Back and Axillary- But What Are Flanks?

im ready for my tt and lipo of flanks and back. where are my flanks? are we talking hips. I do not have a lot of fat on my hips, nearly all in my tummy.

What Are Flanks?

+5

You are correct the "flanks" are your hips, love handles. Be sure you and your chosen doctor are on the same page as to terms. 

Liposuction of the Flanks With a Tummy Tuck

+4

It is very common to liposuction the flanks (hips) at the same time as a tummy tuck.  In many women if you skip this part you can have an unnatural fullness just above your gluteal (buttock) region.  If your upper back needs some liposuction for contouring , it is probable your flanks/ lower back will also benefit from it.  Make sure you understand what your surgeon is thinking in your behalf  so that you can be pleased with the result.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Abdominoplasty and liposuction work hand-in-hand

+4

Liposuction of the waist (flank) and hips is performed on all abdominoplasty surgeries (tummy tucks) in my office, even if there is minimal adipose tissue. Women tend to develop adipose tissue in this area, especially after a tummy tuck and aging, which leads to a flat stomach and hip or flank fullness. Liposuction of the back and flank should contour most of your posterior.

Donna Rich, MD

What is Flank Liposuction?

+4

The flanks are the areas on the side and back of your trunk corresponding to your waist line. You may want to discuss the specific areas of treatment with your plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

What are flanks in regard to liposuction

+3

the flanks are the lower back above the crests of the buttocks.  they connect to the posterior part of the hip roll

Flanks and liposuction

+3

Flanks or hips arr the area you are questioning. This is often liposuctioned in patients undergoing a tummy tuck.

What are flanks? Ready for my Tummy tuck

+3

Flanks are what are commonly known as 'love handles'. These can be pulled in during a TT without the need of an extra procedure. I routinely suture your lateral muscles (below your flanks) to create a natural waist line. This technique helps pull you in on the sides, making your flanks less noticeable. It also increases the amount of weight loss in the following weeks. Abdominal liposuction in conjunction with a TT can be tricky in unexperienced hands. Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon that has many under his belt. Best wishes, Dr. H 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction of "flanks"

+3

I believe that the term "flanks" is used somewhat loosely with regard to liposuction.  Generally, plastic surgeons are referring to the "love handles" and fat in the waist area.  This area typically extends toward the back.  While the hips can also be suctioned, they are considered a different region.  Check carefully with your plastic surgeon so that you both know exactly the suctioning is to take place.   Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of Flanks

+3

The "flanks"  refers to the area on the side of your abdomen otherwise known as " love handles"  or " muffin top”.

Sometimes this area can be treated with liposuction surgery depending on the overlying skin elasticity and the patient's goals/expectations.  At other times direct excision of skin and adipose tissue ( along with liposuction)  may be necessary to treat the area and achieve the patient's  goals ( extended tummy tuck).

Liposuction - What's a Flank?

+2

What's in a name?.... It doesn't matter what you call it, but it does matter that you and your PS are on the same page.  The most confusing term as actually "the hips" - is that your love handles or your outer thighs?  The flanks would generally refer to the love-handles; ie, the areas directly behind the excess skin of your lower abdomen that will be addressed with the TT.  But it doesn't matter what I think it is - you need to touch base with your PS to go over exactly which areas of your body you want addressed and to make sure that he or she understands, and can offer solutions you're happy with.  Whatever you call them...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS