How Can I Get Rid of Unsightly Temple Artery (Yes, It Pulses)?

I have seen a vascular surgeon who told me it cannot be treated with scelotherapy because of the risk of necrosis.He did not offer alternatives but from some research I see ligation might be possible. Any recommendations for doctors in the SF bay area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Disguising a prominent vessel on the face

+2

A great alternative to treating a vessel on the face that can't or shouldn't be compromised is just to disguise with something like Sculptra or Radiesse.  When there isn't enough fat in a particular area of the face to cover a vessel, it can be a nice alternative to just plump up that area slightly ...it can soften the appearance  and often provide a more youthful appearance to the face itself by adding a slight bit of volume.

Temporal Pulsations Can Be Eliminated By Dual Ligation

+2

The location of where your temporal pulsations are seen is in the distal end of the frontal branch of the temporal artery. That can be very successfully ligated by tying off this frontal branch where it splits from main trunk of the temporal artery and then at its location just behind where the pulsations are visibly seen. This can be done through two small incisions in the temporal hairline. This is exactly part of the procedure that is done for temporal-based migraines to remove its pulsatile compression on the auriculotemporal nerve branch. This will completely eliminate the pulsations you are seeing.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Vein Treatment

+1

Visit a board certified Vascular surgeon or a Board certified neurosurgeon. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

You can't unless you want to compromise blood flow to your scalp and go bald

+1

You cannot get rid of this artery unless you want to compromise blood flow to your scalp and go bald.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Temporal Artery bulging

+1

i agree with most of the others in that sclero is a very poor choice and is probably contraindicated.  one could probably start with a mapping of the vessel to assess branches and flow variables.  If few branches or one main branch surgically removing it could probably solve the issue.  however using fillers around the artery could potentially work as well although you would probably need to put a large amount of fillers in this area and it would probably bulge in that area creating an asymmetry.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon

How to remedy a prominent artery in the temple

+1

This is a very common problem in thin persons with hollow temples.  It can be dramatically improved by the use of injectable fillers, and in particular, Sculpta (Poly L Lacitc acid) with doing anything invasive to the artery.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Forehead artery

+1

It is not unusual to have a prominent artery on the forehead..

DO NOT remove it by any method.

sometimes fat transfer around the artery can make it less noticable.

Artery treatment

+1

Hmmmm.  This is a tough one.  I agree that sclerotherapy is a poor option here.  In the past, varicose veins were stripped or surgically removed from the legs.  Some still use this for larger vessels.  It looks like this could be carefully exposed via a small incision and tied off in the hairline. I wouldn't recommend it unless this artery ruins your day every day.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Pulsating temporal artery

+1

The temporal artery has many branches and it would be technically difficult to ligate an isolated branch without collaterals causing the pulating appearance to return. In the absence of pain (temporar arteritis) it would be very unusual to find a surgeon who would operate based on this indicatio alone. Sclerotherapy is generally resrved for low flow vessels (veins) and not arteries.