Mild Tip Drooping After Rhinoplasty

I had my cast taken off yesterday, and I noticed that my tip is greatly reduced but still droops a little. Is that normal because of swelling? Will my tip get more straighter and narrow as the swelling goes away? Thank you.

Way too early to know the final result

+2

You will notice over the next few months that your swelling will gradually improve and the tip will get smaller-- most of this happens within the first few weeks, but the last 10-15% of the swelling takes several months or even a year to resolve.

My advice would be to be patient and let your surgeon know your concerns, but don't plan on seeing the final result for several months more.

Good luck,

Dr. Salemy

Will have better idea once swelling dissipates

+1

It is impossible to tell how much the tip is going to droop in the very immediate postoperative phase at the time of the cast removal. There is still swelling in the tip, which can give the appearance of a pushed-down tip. Tip droop is a phenomenon that does occur after rhinoplasty surgery, and most tips usually will drop 2 to 3 mm in the postoperative period over the course of one year. Full healing and evaluation of the nose can be done at one year after the surgery to determine how much the tip has dropped.

You are very early post-op

+1

You are very early post-op. You will see slight changes over the next few months as the tissues settle and the swelling resolves. You will drive yourself crazy if you sit in front of the mirror and stare at your nose forever. My best advice is to get on with your lift and try not to think about your nose or your surgery for the next few months. You will be very surprised after you let your recovery process occur. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Final result not seen at this time

+1

You have been given some good answers to your question. The bottom line is that it will take longer to see your final results. This does not mean that you will have it exactly the way you want it to be but the time to determine this is after one year. Revision can be done but you do not want to rush it. Keep in contact with your surgeon and see how you progress.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Swelling of the tip of the nose

+1

Yes your nose will absolutely get smaller. In training, we are taught not to take pictures of the nose for at least 6 months and preferably 1-2 years in order to truly assess the final shape of the nose

Yes it absolutely will get smaller

+1

This is early and the nose will remain swollen for 6-12 months. The swelling causes all the things you mentioned for several weeks to months and will slowly resolve,

Too soon to worry

+1

Presumably, when your doctor finished the surgery, they were happy with the result. At this early, you are still very swollen and no where near your final result. Stick close to your doctor with these questions, follow their instructions closely and try not to worry. Maybe go back soon for a check up.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS