Will my Nose Tip Will Get Smaller After Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty 10 months ago and my tip is still swollen and round. The bridge is small and the tip is huge, and when I laugh my nose looks huge. It looks weird and I feel unattractive. The cartilage is lumpy. If I tape my nose, will the tip change? Will my nose tip get smaller? I had a thinner nose tip before surgery, and I feel like I regret having a nose job. Please help!

Unlikely to get smaller

+1

Since it has been 10 months since your rhinoplasty surgery, your nose tip is probably not going to shrink much more than it already has. There is probably very little swelling still left in the nose at this point. There are hundreds of different tip techniques that are performed to reduce the size of the tip, so without knowing what type of tip procedure the patient had done, it would be impossible to tell if it is going to reduce any more in size.

Unfortunately it won't get smaller.

+1

You should see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. It appears that your tip is quite large and should be evaluated by an expert in this field. Any further surgery you want to be your last.

You will likely need a revision.

+1

Don't be upset with yourself about the result. Unfortunately, a certain number of rhinoplasty surgeries do need to be revised once all the swelling goes down. We do not normally recommend doing anything for 1 year after rhinoplasty because that is when nearly all of the swelling should have subsided. Sometimes, your surgeon can do a touch up under local anesthesia. Talk to your surgeon first and then feel free to seek other opinions. Obviously, your surgeon will not charge you too much for a revision whereas a new surgeon will likely charge you significantly more, so that may be a factor in your decision on giving your surgeon another chance to make it look better. Take your time and make the decision that is best for you.

I wish you the best.

Thomas T. Nguyen, MD

Large Nasal Tip After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi flowers,

Sorry about your disappointment with your rhinoplasty. Taping the tip of your nose will not accomplish anything for you other than a sticky nose. At this point it is doubtful that your tip will get smaller on its own. If your nose is troubling you, you will likely benefit from a revision rhinoplasty.

With thick, oily skin it is difficult to refine the tip of the nose. You should seek a few opinions from rhinoplasty revision experts. In Texas you are fortunate to have many great surgeons including Rod Rorhrich, Jack Gunter, Russ Kridel, Steve Byrd, and Sam Lam.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD