How Long Should Surgical Glue from Rhinoplasty Last?

My son had a tip rhinoplasty last March 13 and today the surgical glue fell off of his lip incision. It has only been 3 days! Is that normal?

Glue should last 5-7 days

+1

The tissue glue that was used on the alarplasty should fall off in about five to seven days. This is a normal phenomenon just as if it were superglue. As long as the incisions have not pulled apart or opened up there is no need to be concerned.

Don't Take Any Lip From Rhinoplasty Patients

+1

Hi dolphin,

I am not aware of a "lip incision" approach to rhinoplasty. You should contact your son's rhinoplasty surgeon to get the answer to your question.

If you are referring to the columella of the nose (the center divider under the nose between the nostrils), during an external or open approach rhinoplasty an incision is made there. That area is normally sutured and then the stitches are removed between 5 to 7 days after surgery.

I personally don't usually "take any lip" from my patients, although I do encourage open communication.

I hope that both your son and you are very pleased with his new nose. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Ask the doctor

+1

You should call the doctor who did the surgery to answer the question. He knows what type of "glue" he used and when it should fall off.