Can a Male Upturned Nose Be Corrected? (photo)

Considering (primary) r.p., but still uncertain if it's worth it, and would like some opinions on results, procedures, costs. My main concerns are the nasofrontal and nasolabial angle; how much can I realistically expect these be corrected in comparison to my current angles (acute vs. obtuse angles). Other concerns are bulbous tip, which I would like to see more refined, and columellar show. I want more projection and definition, but not a smaller nose (I don't think nostril reduction would fit)

Correcting a male upturned nose

+1

It is possible to correct an upturned nose with several different maneuvers.  Trimming the inferior most portion of the columella to decrease the columellar show and a portion of the nasal spine will drop the projection and the nasolabial angle.  A small wafer of cartilage at the nasal frontal angle may also help derotate the tip.  It would be impossible to give more projection to this nose as in attempting to do so, it would rotate the nose higher than it already is.  The average cost of a rhinoplasty is approximately $7000, which includes the operating room, anesthesia, and the surgeon’s fee for performing the procedure.

Upturned Male Nose

+1

Unfortunately we do see upturned nose when doing revisions ; it is very unusual to see this problem when doing  a primary rhinoplasty. Your tip can be refined, de-rotated and the nose lengthened. This will require cartilage grafts, but your goals can be achieved by an experienced surgeon. 

Or you, a rhinoplasty will require making deliberate moves to improve that nose-lip angle.

+1

Dear MrMonkey;

Your analysis is correct.  The nasolabial angle is quite obtuse and rather unusual for a man.  Right now you can see right into the nasal cavities.  Apparently you did not have previous surgery, so yours is particularly rare. 

Narrowing the tip of the nose runs the risk of the healing process making the nose tip up even more, so your case has to be dealt with very carefully.  You will probably require some cartilage grafts to help lengthen the nose at the same surgical session as the narrowing of the tip.  Regarding your desire for more projection, I am not sure I would agree with that.  In your case, nostril reduction, if you mean by that nostril narrowing, probably is not necessary.  The most important thing is that the tip of the nose be brought down and that you have a more masculine and, therefore, less obtuse nose-lip angle. 

Yes indeed, this does call for a very experienced surgeon, whether it be in Europe, the U. S. or Canada.  I suggest you do the homework and you will then make a better decision.  Frankly, if you are not comfortable with the possibility at this appointment, then perhaps you might not want to do the surgery. 

Good luck and best wishes.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your posted photos show an upturned nose with completely visible nostrils on a front view and a nose to upper lip (nasolabial) angle of about 125 degrees. The preferred angle in a male is 90 degrees. I suspect you will need a cartilage graft extending from the septum down between the right and left tip cartilages. The degrees of rotation can then be controlled by the way the cartilages are sutured together. You may also need removal of the nasal spine and reshaping of the bottom of the septal cartilage to achieve the desired result. In my opinion that would have to be an open rhinoplasty for the results to be reliable. I think you should be able to get close to the desired 90 degrees with this methodology.

The main question would be where do you get enough cartilage with sufficient strength to do the job and you need to discuss that with your surgeon.

Your nose to forehead (nasofrontal) angle cannot be assessed from your posted photos.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Male upturned nose

+1

You do have a very rotated nose with obtuse nasolabial angle and significant nostril show which is not pleasing. Rhinoplasty with tip derotation and reset of the angle with extension grafts and or internal composite grafts will significantly improve your aesthetic balance. Better photos would also help determine if chin implant and or mild radix augmentation would help as well. This is not a routine case and you need to find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a Male Upturned Nose Be Corrected?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for well over 20 years and IMHO, your nose is severely scooped with an upturned, over rotated nasal tip that screams "previously operated".  IMHO, it would be an aesthetic improvement to soften the over-rotated tip effect.  

One of the easiest methods, that I have used, is to tuck the lower section of the columella to make the tip appear as though it has been roatated downward.  This simple technique would not require a complete Rhinoplasty and would give you a chance to see if this is enough of a chnage without having a full Rhinoplasty wih dorsal and tip grafts.

Rhinoplasty for the male nose

+1

You nose is upturned well beyond the aesthetic ideal for a male nose. This can be accomplished through a rhinoplasty procedure, but it is likely that you will need additional strong cartilage from the rib to help reposition and stabilize the tip in a less rotated position.  find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon if you are considering undertaking the procedure. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rhinoplasty for the male upturned, short nose.

+1

Rhinoplasty for the male upturned, short nose is done by extending the length of the nose with grafts of both cartilage and skin. This is similar to the procedure that we do for revisions that essentially have a short nose like yours. You can see photos of this procedure on our website. Make sure you see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon since this is not a beginner procedure.

Male

+1

Be careful. You are overrotated at the tip and fixing this may change your dorsal contour. I personally think male nose have to be done carefully so as no to effeminize them

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Upturned nose

+1

Upturned noses can be successfully turned down.  An open rhinoplasty approach is used to expose the tip cartilages.  The septum inside is then extended and the tip cartilages resewn onto the extension.  You can get 5 - 10 mm with this technique, and it often produces a very good change in appearance.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon