What To Expect With Rhinoplasty After 35 (photo)

At 37, I'm seriously considering rhinoplasty to refine my nasal tip and reduce the droop. One doctor I consulted with asked if I was prepared to have people question my self-esteem. Is it harder to have a nose job at this age since more people might notice than if I was a teen off at college? What are your thoughts??

Will a rhinoplasty change how people see me?

+4

Hi Hottwater324,

I think that is a very thoughtful question your surgeon asked.  I think as long as you are confident in your decision people would be supportive.  People in their 30's have rhinoplasty all the time.  Unless you are working in some very catty work environment I think you'll be fine.  

Questions to ask yourself:

1.  Am I ready?

2.  Do I understand that it will be an adjustment for me as well as those around me?

You'll do great but be aware that it may take a few weeks for you to get to know your face again.  Even the most non-vain patients will look at themselves continuously after surgery. . .constantly evaluating the work and the changes but don't fret.  That's normal.  

Should you ask your friends if you have their support?  I don't think you need it but it helps to have a close companion honestly say, "Heck yeah!  Go do it!  You'll look awesome!"

Hope that helps.

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+3

The age is irrelevant. I have done the procedure on patients in their 20s and patients in their 50s or 60s. The procedure is indvidualized for the patient not their age. One of my patients in her 20s went back home for a family get together and told me no one guessed she had had a rhinoplasty. They thought she had done her hair differently. If the change is natural, not overdone and the surgery is cosmetic rather than reconstructive no one should know the difference unless they look really closely.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty at 37

+3

True friends are supportive of plastic surgery. People who ask if you have problems with self esteem are often envious that you had the confidence to make a change in something that you were not happy with. Your age is not a factor here and you should have a great result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's never too late for a rhinoplasty

+3

If you're going to have the surgery, do it for yourself. Instead of wondering how others will perceive your self-esteem, you should wonder how it will affect how you look at yourself. You have had your current nasal shape for many years and surgery would create a fundamental change in your appearance. Sometimes even if the nose looks great with respect to "ideal" shape standards, patients have to get used to their new nose. I would think that based on the photos that you provided, you could stand to have a little more rotation and refinement of the tip.

Of course, patients who go off to college have the benefit of school breaks and meeting people who have never seen them before. However, a well done rhinoplasty will make your nose LESS noticeable and blend into your face better. It's one of those areas in which a good surgical result is where the nose stands out less. In other words, if you get a subtle and natural-looking result it's unlikely that a lot of people will notice the change. And that's a good thing!

Whatever you do. Find a board-certified surgeon experienced in the art of rhinoplasty who performs a large volume of nasal surgery. Good luck!

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at Nearly Any Age " Works" for Patients

+2

Hello, Hottwater.

You are not likely to get into hot water with your friends or anyone else if you have a rhinoplasty. Besides, who cares what others think? Treat yourself and do it for yourself.

I have operated on a wide range of patients. Rhinoplasty from age 14 to 72.

Actually, I am the right guy to ask because I had my rhinoplasty at age 38. My wife questioned me about it but later, after seeing that I was even more handsome, decided it was a good move. Of course, she was happy for her own reason: she got to go to New York with me.

Seriously, though, there are some good reasons to do it now.  if you are sure you want it and from the photos, you are a great candidate, go for it. One reason is that presuming you are now healthy, this is the time. What if later, through bad luck, some medical problem intervenes and you are not eligible, medically? That happened to my aunt.

Another reason is that as you get older, you are going to like your nose even less. Why? Because it is going to droop and hang down even more. Thank gravity and your smile muscle for that.

Bottom line: It's your life, your nose. Take charge.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

AUTHOR, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty is not just for teenagers

+2

The goal for Rhinoplasty at any age is to improve the appearance of your nose, yet leave you looking natural. More mature patients often are the best patients. The decision to have rhinoplasty is about you and not related to peer groups, parents or outside influences.

Rhinoplasty is not about self esteem. However, it's not unusual for patients following rhinoplasty to feel better about themselves. Self esteem issues should be a result of, not a reason for rhinoplasty. Surprisingly, unless someone is obsessed with you, they are unlikely to even notice you had surgery. The best response is when patients tell me that they say an old friend from High School and they get "you look great, did you change your hair? lose weight?." Not, had a nosejob?

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty after 50

+2

Rhinoplasty is a very rewarding experience for patients even after 50 years of age. Most patients who do it late in life have been wondering about it for a long time but never went to see a plastic surgeon. So, age should not be the criteria to decide who should get a rhinoplasty. Instead working with your plastic surgeon and communicating your EXACT desires about how to change your nose is essential. Once you and your surgeon agree on the game plan, you are good to go.

I have done rhinoplasty on patients in their 50s and they are very happy. Their only regret was they did not do it sooner.

Regards and good luck.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

We routinely see patients in their 30s and 40s for rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Hottwater324,

There was a time when people thought of rhinoplasty patients as getting it done at age 16 or 17, but in our practice we routinely see patients in their 30s and 40s who have always been unhappy with their nose and are now in the place in their life when they can take the time to do it.

In the right hands there is no reason to think that your recovery should be any slower or more difficult at all. Simply make sure that you see someone who has a dedicated rhinoplasty practice who can give you an honest portrayal of the results via computer imaging so that you can be sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page with your goals.

Peyman Solieman, MD

Peyman Solieman, MD

Rhinoplasty at 37

+2

Age alone is not a contraindication for a nasal procedure. Have several consultations and you will get an idea of a consensus opinion. Look for a board certified surgeon who does a significant volume of rhinoplasty. Good luck.

David C. Yao, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What To Expect With Rhinoplasty After 35

+1

There's no age limit to improving your appearance.  I'm stunned that any plastic and cosmetic surgeon would say that to a prospective patient.  From your photos aesthetically your nose and tip could be thinned, with the tip rotated slightly with Rhinoplasty.  IMHO, you should find another surgeon with a better bedside manner.