Can I Have Rhinoplasty After Septoplasty?

Iam 16 years old and this week I had a Septoplasty. As expected, my nose didn't have a visible change. So now, I am thinking of having a Rhinoplasty because I have a crooked nose and it is also very long and I really dislike it.

Rhinoplasty After Septoplasty

+3

Hi Mandy,

Yes you may have a rhinoplasty. In fact, if your breathing is very good now, your recovery from rhinoplasty should be a bit easier and quicker if no further septal surgery is required.

Consult with a few rhinoplasty specialists and make sure that they understand your goals. Then carefully choose your rhinoplasty surgeon. Good luck and enjoy your new nose.

Dr. P

Nose still crooked after Septoplasty

+2

Hello, Mandy.

You will have to wait three months or possibly longer before another operation. The nose still being crooked suggests you may need some more work on the septum.

Nature typically takes 100 days to heal any operation, anywhere on the body. So, let things just settle down so that the next operation can visit tissue that is completely healed.

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty after Septoplasty

+2

Dear Mandy,

Yes - but special precautions need to be taken by the surgeon. In many Septoplasty cases, the obstructing portion of the septum is removed, leaving something that looks like a flipped over "L" to hold up the nose.

The ability of this remaining framework to hold the nose (not to have it collapse causing a saddle nose deformity) depends on the width and strength of the remaining septum. If you have a nasal hump that may need to be taken down, it will have to be done with care and other precautions may need to be taken.

But - this does NOT mean that a subsequent cosmetic rhinoplasty cannot be done.

I hope this was helpful.

Good Luck.

Rhinoplasty adter Septoplasty

+2

To undergo a rhinoplasty operation after a previous deviated septum repair is common and safe as long as the surgeon preserves the cartilage framework of the nose. The strength of the remaining cartilage should be assessed to make sure the proposed changes are possible. If the structure is too weak, cartilage grafts may be needed to help maintain the proper position of the bridge and other areas. make sure your surgeon is familiar with these concepts and has a carefully though out plan.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after Septoplasty

+1

Yes, you may have a rhinoplasty after a septoplasty.  A functional septoplasty will not change the appearance of your nose.  It only corrects your nasal airway obstruction.  A rhinoplasty performed approximately three months after the septoplasty will give you adequate time to heal and correct your deviated nose.  The same surgeon or an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who has full details of the first operation may perform the procedure.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Rhinoplasty after Septoplasty for Deviated Septum

+1

Yes, you can have cosmetic rhinoplasty to alter the shape of the nose after septoplasty for a deviated septum.

During the septoplasty procedure, deviated portions of bone and cartilage may be removed entirely or they may be readjusted and repositioned. This deviated septum surgery has different techniques and approaches, largely dependent on the anatomy of the nasal septum for each particular person. For a majority of patients, septoplasty surgery does not alter the external shape of the nose, since the deviated portions of cartilage and bone are usually internal.

Now, that you've already had a septoplasty, it's best to wait an adequate amount of time for appropriate healing. As many have already suggested, most plastic surgeons would wait at least 6 months, if not longer, before proceeding with rhinoplasty surgery.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a rhinoplasty surgeon can you be appropriately counseled regarding the cosmetic rhinoplasty. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty okay once healed from septoplasty

+1

A septoplasty is performed for breathing issues and is usually covered under medical insurance. This is in no way going to change or alter the shape of the nose. It is simply done for breathing problems and is a medical condition. A rhinoplasty is performed to change, alter, straighten the external portion of the nose and is considered cosmetic and is not paid through insurance. A rhinoplasty can be performed at least two months after the septoplasty to make sure that all swelling from the septoplasty has subsided.

Wait for six months after septoplasty before doing rhinoplasty

+1

If you had a septoplasty recently you need to wait at least six months and better one year to allow the healing to complete and scar tissue to settle. This makes the rhinoplasty easier. Any earlier will be technically harder and will increase the risk of scarring leading to a poor result.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes it is possible.

+1

Make sure you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and see several of his patients. That way you will be able to see first hand the type of work he does.

Rhinoplasty after septoplasty can be performed but proceed with caution

+1

Most functional septal procedures will not have a cosmetic outcome. The purpose is generally to relieve internal obstruction.

A cosmetic rhinoplasty can be performed after a septoplasty but some precautions must be taken to avoid damaging the delicate remaining structures of the nose. It is important that you provide the second surgeon with the details of the original procedure to minimize these risks.