I Had Restylane Last November, My Dr. Keeps Saying I Need More, Should I Believe Him?

I had restylane the last November. The Dr. told me I only need one syringe -$700. I did not had pain, but after a week, my nasolabial area is looking almost the same as before. I when back to see my doctor and he told I need one more syringe. I am feeling very upset because I don’t know if he is telling me the true or not. I also had it on my on my marionette lines and after that he told me that it doesn’t work there. Now he thinks I should have radiesse. I should get a new doctor???

Yes find a new doctor.

+2

The most important thing is the chemistry of confidence you have with your surgeon.  If you are not sure you can trust you doctor, it is time to get other opinions.  You have so many great choices where you live that there is no reason to feel stuck with a particular individual who makes you upset.  The reality is that you probably do need more volume.  Many doctor swear by Radiesse.  I personally do not like this product.  While I have used it, I switched over to Perlane when this product became available.  The hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane and Perlane can easily be adjusted with an enzyme injection any time after treatment.  It is not possible to adjust Radiesse in the same way.  My advice is go where you are comfortable.

Do I need more Restylane

+2

Most physicians like to start out conservatively and add another filler if that's needed, especially on first time patients, because it's hard to know how the filler will work, how the skin will respond, if the patient will like it, etc. It is not uncommon to need more than one filler, especially if your lines are deeper, or you need more volume, or you're trying to fill more than one area. I'm not necessarily surprised that you might need another one. However, if you aren't comfortable with your physician or his approach, it's always fine to see another physician. I would say on most of my patients, I start out with 1-2 syringes of filler, and then usually add in a second or third, about 3-4 months later. This gives a good base to build from and putting fillers on top of each other before a patient returns to baseline is actually a good strategy to get the fillers to last longer.

He may be right!

+2

Your story is not at all uncommon.  One of the most common "problems" with fillers is incompete or insufficient improvement of a line, fold or wrinkle.  It is important to discuss this fully with your physician (preferably before treatment).  Often it is necessary to use more than one syringe for deeper lines to achieve a better correction.

Radiesse is a very good filler as is Restylane, but they are different products with different uses.  Typically, Radiesse is better for deeper, more volumizing correction and also is longer lasting than Restylane.

If you are not confident in your physician, you should consider a second opinion.

Web reference: http://www.drlevens.com

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Restylane to nasolabial folds

+2

It is very possible that your injector underestimated the amount of product you would need.  That being said, if you feel as if you can't trust your injector, a second opinion is always a good idea. 

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/botoxTreatment.aspx

Restylane and more or less product

+1

It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your provider. Typically, you would sit down and consult to first discuss what treatment and product would serve your needs, then plan and treat. Discussing pricing and what the expectations are, should always be done prior to having anything injected to avoid conflicts like you've described.  

Getting more filler

+1

If you see no visible difference after one week, a second opinion might be a good idea. Although fillers can dissolve more quickly in some people, one week is very fast for it to be gone.

When do you need more filler or botox?

+1

The real question here is "what do you think?!?" You doctor may want to give you more restylane to make you look better. But that ideal is in his or her mind. What really matters is what you think of how you look. Do YOU think you need more? If you do, then get more. If not, be happy with the way you look. It's also OK to change your mind later.

Need more restylene

+1

Whether you need more or not depends only on you.If after the injection you are happy with the amount and the look then you do not need more restylene.However it will diminish in time and more will need to be added.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

The Secret to Fillers: Do You Need More?

+1

There is no doubt that in well trained hands, fillers work.  Typically, the secrets to patient satisfaction relate to 3 factors: 1)  Injector technique.  With the introduction of family Doctors, Dentists, and others into the milieu of injectables, it is incumbent on the patient to look at credentials and training (look for a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, or Occuloplastic Surgeon for your injectables),

2) Volume of filler. If you didn't receive enough filler in your nasolabial folds, you won't be happy, regardless of who your Doctor is.  It is up to the Doctor to make the correct call on how much is required.  More syringes leads to a higher cost, but remember that the Doctor has to have the ability to treat the problem you present with.  If a patient needs 3 syringes and is only willing to pay for 1, the odds of dissatisfaction are much higher.

3) Expectations.  Fillers will not give you a Facelift result.  If your are advised to consider a Facelift for your concerns, but choose a filler instead, the odds of success are lower.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need for more restylane?

+1
Choice of fillers really depends on how deep your lines are. Generally products like Radiesse, Juvedem Plus and Perlane are recommended for deeper lines. Sometimes it is difficult to predict how your lines will respond until the product is actually injected. While your physician may have thought Restylane would be sufficient, he may be recommending Radiesse due to your lack of response. Also if your physician has before and after pictures of your treatment, the improvement may be more evident in a side-by-side comparison. Generally with fillers the more you use the more improvement you will get, though it is possible to overfill. When in doubt you can speak to your physician more or you can seek a second opinion.
Houston Dermatologist