I Had a Half Syringe of Restylane Under Each Eye with No Results. Will another syringe be helpful?

I had a half syringe under each eye with no results for dark circles.. Injector told me up front I need full syringe under each write, I'm going back in 2 wks for other syringe. Is it possible I wont see any results??

Restylane for dark circles

+1

Restylane plumps up tear trough hollows and the amount required depends on the patient.  You should compare your results with your before photos to see if there really isn't a change in fullness.  You may require more Filler.  Restylane will not fade dark circles if they are caused by pigmentation.  Your physician may suggest a tretinoin cream and perhaps hydroquinone cream to help fade the pigment.  Wear sunglasses outdoors to prevent further darkening.

Toronto Dermatologist

Amounts needed to fill in tear trough

+1

Every patient is different and needs different amount, but I have never needed to inject a full syringe into a single eye. I think if you had half a syringe you should see at least some level of correction, but not maybe as full of a correction as you desired. If you see absolutely no difference, then injecting more will likely not help in your case.

Julio Garcia, MD

Restylane for under eye circles

+1

Dark circles under the eyes can be the result of several causes.  Truly, only one of the causes is treated satisfactorily with fillers.  Dark circles are generally the result of 1) Deep set eyes or a sunkeness of the lower eyelids that result in a shadowing effect, 2) darkening or hyperpigmentation of the skin (either hereditary, post inflammatory, or chronic inflammation), and/or 3) discoloration secondary to the vasculature underlying the thin eyelid skin.  If your dark circles are the result of deep set eyes or a sunkeness of the lower lids, then Restylane is an excellent choice to fill this area (a concave surface).  Furthermore, if this is indeed your case, 1 syringe per lower lid is completely reasonable.  

Lesley Clark-Loeser, MD
Hollywood Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear Trough injections

+1

Without seeing photos, it is difficult to provide you with feedback.  If your injector looked at your anatomy and determined that you would need 2 syringes total, it is likely the case.  Sometimes patients are better candidates for blepharoplasty, and are disappointed with their outcomes from injections.  When you go back for your followup appointment, voice your concerns.  An experienced injector will welcome the feedback and answer accordingly.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane for tear trough

+1

Restylane is a great option for tear troughs. However, the volume and placement of the product are critical. You may require more product. Oftentimes, the adjacent cheeks may also need to be filled to create a younger look in the area.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Restylane filling of the Tear Trough / Nasojugal Line

+1

You are raising 2 issues in your question : the ideal volume of Restylane in filling the Tear Trough and it's use for dark circles around the eyes. Restylane is not useful in clearing dark circles around the eye. It s meant to be injected deeply around the eye. Surgical injection would result in bluish reflection from the skin (Tindall effect). The ideal volume varies from person to person. There is nothing wrong in undertreating. You can always have more Restylane placed in the area. 

Filler in lower lids

+1

Sometimes you jsut need more.  If the doctor says one syringe between the two was not enough and you now agree then it stands to reason you  may need more.

Yes it is possible that you will be disappointed because you did not get enough volume.

+1

When you go back, ask the doctor to show you your before and after photographs.  It is improbable that there is no effect.  It is much more likely that you simple need to follow the doctor's advice and have more treatment.

Restylane

+1

It's hard to say without evaluating you, but if your injector told you up front that you needed a full syringe for each side, then it is likely you will need a second syringe to get full correction.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Restylane under the Eyes

+1

Without photos or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you any advice.  Restylane is good around the eyes when injected by an experienced and board certified injector.  You need to be very careful with injections around the eyes as the skin is thinner and any over injection will be obvious.  The great thing about HA injectables like Restylane and Juvederm is that we can use an enzyme injection to melt the product away if the results do not look right.  I see many patients in my practice who have been injected in MedSpa situations with unfavorable injectable results.  Using the melting enzyme, I am usually able to erase the lumps and improve the results if they were injected with an HA filler.  Other fillers such as Radiesse and Sculptra cannot be "erased."  However, these are also great fillers when used in the right situation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD