Can the Doctor Test Us Beforehand to Make Sure We Are Not Allergic to Restylane?

If I decide to get this done can they maybe inject a little spot on my hand or somewhere before just to make sure I'm not allergic or going to have a reaction. I would hate for them to inject the lines around my lips then i have an allergic reaction exspecially somewhere noticable. Thank you for your time.

Restylane allergy testing

+2

It used to be customary to test patients for collagen allergies but not so with Restylane.  I have never seen an allergic reaction to Restylane but have had one or two patients ask me to do a skin test on them and then save the syringe (they paid for the full syringe before the test) and proceed with treatment a week later.

Allergies to Restylane

+1

We routinely do not test for allergic reactions to Restylane because it is so rare. Having said that, there is no reason that a small amount could not be placed elsewhere and then have you wait for a month if you are that concerned.

Julio Garcia, MD

Is allergy testing for Restylane necessary?

+1

All good feedback from panel members.  As thoroughly stated, there is no reason or indication for an allergy test prior to treatment with hyaluronic acid dermal fillers.  

However, if you believe that this would offer you more peace of mind, then moving forward with this is not unreasonable if you pay for the product and the practitioner's time to render the test.  Keep in mind that you will need to absorb the cost of the syringe (whether half or full syringe) once it is used on you regardless of whether or not you move forward with a complete treatment.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Allergy Testing Before Restylane Injections

+1

Restylane is a dermal filler composed of Hyaluronic Acid, a nature substance already found in our body. The function of Hyaluronic Acid in the skin is to bind water, giving the skin its plumpness. Because this is a natural substance that is already part of the skin, it is extremely rare to be "allergic" to it. There is therefore no need to perform an allergy test prior to having Restylane.

Older fillers were derived from other materials, where an allergic reaction was possible. Many of these older fillers are infrequently or no longer used.

Other reactions to Hyaluronic Acid fillers are extremely rare and unpredictable. I published a paper in the October 2009 edition of the journal Dermatologic Surgery describing a patient that had one of these reaction to Restylane. We gave the patient with Restylane again, after they had the reaction, and nothing happened. This proved that there was no "allergy" to Restylane, but something else was responsible for the first reaction.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Juvederm allergy testing

+1

Allergy testing for restylane and juvederm is extremely rare. Therefore, it is not necessary. The package insert from the FDA does not recommend it.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Allergy testing is not necessary with Restylane

+1

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid products and has no organ or species specificity. In theory there is no risk of an allergic reaction. Therefore, skin testing is not necessary before injecting hyaluronic acid. In fact, in spite of its frequent use for cosmetic purposes, there are very few reports of hypersensitivity reactions. The typical side effects associated with hyaluronic acid injections such as Restylane or Juvederm include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Juvederm are made of hyaluronic acid

+1

Since Restylane and Juvederm are made of hyaluronic acid, a substance found in all animals (including humans) we theoretically cannot be allergic to it.  Reactions to other products that contain collagen have been reported and therefore skin tests are used for Artefill and the older collagen products Zyplast and Zyderm, but not for hyaluronic acid products.  

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Allergy

+1

I have used Restylane for years and have not encountered a single case of Restylane allergy. The active ingredient in Restylane, Hyaluronic Acid, is found in several of our tissues including the eyeballs and joints. If you are insistent on having a skin test nonetheless a small amount can be injected in the skin and inspected a week later r redness and induration. 

Good Luck 

Restylane and skin test

+1

AS opposed to collagen back in the day, an allergic reaction to restylane is very rare and therefore skin testing is not recommended. Certainly it can be done if you are worried.

Is Allergy Testing Necessary with Restylane

+1

Because the risk of allergic reaction to Restylane is so low routine pretreatment testing is not required nor recommended by the FDA or the company.  As the othe panel members have indicated if desired a small amount of Restylane could be injected as a test but this is definitely not routine practice.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist