Can One Use Restylane to Top off an Area Where Bioalcamid Was Put?

Hi I had some bioalcamid many years ago to accentuate my jaw angles. After about 7 years or so most of the material was removed from one side, due to infection. Is it possible to replace the lost volume with restylane/ restylane sub q? Have a great week :-)

Restylane after other fillers

+1

Restylane or another dermal filler will be fine to add to that area - if you've had issues with an infection prior, I would first have this discussion with your injector to discuss potential complications and/or side effects.

Restylane for depressions

+1

I think the hyaluronic acid fillers can be used for that but they might not last too long. You might consider Sculptra or Artefill as a more long lasting alternative.

Julio Garcia, MD

+1

No, this may be unwise to have Restylane or any other filler introduced into the same area as Bio Alcamid.  I have some experience and success removing unwanted Bio Alcamid from patients from all over the world and this materila IMO can create problems like infections due to the "bio-film" associated withy this product.  Bio Alcamid seems to move within the tissues, in the patients that I have seen seeking it's removal.  You may want to consider having it out and using an off the shelf temporary filler like Perlane or Radiesse, or even Cheek Implants to shape the face 6 months after its removal.  Be sure that the MD that does your facial shaping and contouring understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a natuirally, more attractive face.

Restylane to top off BioAlcamid

+1

Hi Gina,

If the BioAlcamid has been removed there shouldn't be any problems in using a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane in the same area. Because BioAlcamid forms a capsule around itself and works as an "endoprosthesis" it has the potential of getting infected (like any implant in the body) if contaminated. Hope this helps.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adding volume with Restylane

+1

Restylane is a volumizing filler so it can be used to replace lost volume like you are describing. Bioalcamid isn't FDA approved so it's hard to talk about that aspect, but Restylane absolutely can be used to revolumize your face.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD