How Do I Treat Bruising After Lip Augmentation with Restalyn?

I had Restalyn injected in my lips yesterday. I made it clear to my practitioner that i wanted the results to be very subtle, that I was starting a new senior job next week and did not want to deal with any bruising or freakish swelling. They assured me that it would be fine and that I could even go out that same night. They also promised to be very restrained in how much they used - saying that i could always inject more later. Well, going anywhere is not a possibility and I'm really worried about my first week at work.

The biggest problem is the duck like appearance, an imbalance between my top and bottom lip and, most importantly, severe bruising which has turned the left side of my bottom lip black. Oddly enough my top lip is totally fine ( although they did do more injections on the bottom) I'm icing all the time, taking Benadryl and Arnica, and sleeping upright. I think the swelling will probably be gone by Tuesday ( start day) but I'm worried about the black bruising. It's even on my skin next to my lip. is there anything at all I can do to make the blackness dissipate? I can't even cover it with concealer. Does anyone know of any make-up that can cover black and blue lips? It almost looks like they're bleeding black and blue

You are doing everything you should be doing

+7

Dear Black and Blue,

Keep doing what you are doing. Unfortunately you were not given the proper information. There is always a possibility of bruising and swelling and you should have been informed so you would have been prepared for the outcome. The bruising and swelling should subside over the next few days.

Dermablend or CoverMark are good coverup makeups

+4

You are doing everything you can at this point. I would recommend not taking any alcohol drinks or aspirin nor advil for at least 5 days before your next injection session. Don't blame the restylane or the physician for the bruising. It happens regardless to the best of us physicians from time to time.

It doesn't mean that it will happen next time so don't give up on fillers for your lips unless you want to go to the permanent (but reversible) implants that look and feel very natural. They run about $1500-2000 per lip but saves you alot of money and painful injections in the long run.

A good makeup is either CoverMark or Dermablend.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Time should resolve bruising after Restylane lip injections

+3

Bruising following Restylane injections to the lips are very common, and often don't become evident until this next day. The lips are highly vascular, and the inadvertant injury to a small vessel is the norm rather than the exception. To minimize the risk of excessive bruising I suggest you ice your lips both before and after the procedure.

I do not feel that Arnica is beneficial in this scenario, and am not aware of any studies demonstrating its efficacy. Benedryl probably would not be helpful, because this is unlikely to be an allergic type reaction.

Time will usually resolve the bruising issue. If excessive fullness is noted once the bruising has resolved, then Hyaluronidase can be injected into the lip, which will remove the Restylane.

Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Allow for bruising

+3

Careful technique can minimize bruising, of course. Also Juvederm may be a better choice for patients who experience bruising and swelling with Restylane. As hyaluronic acid fillers have become longer lasting and thicker, the complications from injections have increased.

In all patients who need to be "camera ready", we recommend 48 hours-72 hours of down time, "just in case".

Also, for a patient's first injection, we often recommend Prevelle, which does not last as long but has much lower comlication rates. Very sensitive patients who are sensitive even to Prevelle should probably not have Restylane injections.

For swelling that is already present, ice, elevation, reduction in activities, perhaps arnica cream, perhaps motrin, and perhaps even a Medrol dosepack for very large swelling are all things you should discuss with your doctor. For very severe prolonged cases, hyaluronidase injections to dissolve the Restylane can be considered.

Bruising will subside with time

+3

Bruising is a commong problem when injecting the lips. Over the years I have found that it is very important to avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, alleve and other anti-inflammatories for at least a week before your treatment. Alcohol, vitamin E supplements and gingko can also make you bruise more easily.

Regardless of the technique, bruising is common and you are doing the right thing to ice and take benadryl for the swelling. The swelling seen with Restylane will subside over the first two days.

Try to find a color stain lipstick such as Revlon's colorstay that stains the lip and hides the bruising then apply a gloss on top. Hope you look great!

Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+2

It is almost impossible to completely avoid bruising when augmenting the lips. The lip tissue is very delicate and filled with blood vessels. Apply your ice packs for 5 minutes every half hour for the first 8 hours and sleep upright as you are doing. You may apply Arnica cream and take the Arnica tablets. Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen in the first 24 hours after your treatment, as that may increase your bruising. Bruising may last up to one week in some people.

If you have severe bruising or swelling or pain, or are concerned about the appearance, you must follow up with your doctor.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Black and Blue

+2

Ice and elevation are usually the 2 best things for the first few days. I am not a big fan of arnica and allt he other herbals that are out there.  Make-up and lipstick can help camouflage the brusiing on the skin and the lips.

Facial Fillers and Bruising: Arnica, BruisKare, Sinecch, Massage

+2

There are two things to do if you experience bruising with facial fillers or other injectables:

1. Speed up the rate of recovery from bruising by employing the following treatments:

• Arnica tablets: BruiseKare; Sinecch, Homeopathic arnica montana
  • Arnica ointment: BruiseStick ointment
  • Massage

2. Prevent future bruising by speaking to your physician prior to performing your next treatment about the above-mentioned pre-procedural treatments:

• Arnica tablets: BruiseKare, Sinecch, Homeopathic Arnica montana
  • Arnica ointment: BruiseStick ointment
  • Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, or any other blood thinners
  • Use ice after the injection
  • Massage early
  • Hold pressure immediately after the injection

Web reference: http://kareskin.com/product-detail/11/bruisestick-arnica-ointment.aspx

Bruising post Restylane at lips

+1
Unfortunately, bruising sometimes cannot be prevented and is a common side effect post injection. Swelling normally resolves in the first few days. Cold compresses can help alleviate discomfort and swelling. Bruising can last much longer (about 7-10 days). A good concealer can definitely hide most of the discoloration caused by bruising. Makeup Forever has some heavy duty concealers that work very well to camouflage discoloration. This brand can be found at stores such as Sephora. The only other option is to give it some time to allow the bruising to dissipate.

Treating Bruises after Lip Injections

+1

It sounds like you are on the right track in reducing and eventually eliminating bruising.  I would also recommend eliminating any blood thinning medications such as Ibuprofen, aspirin, Fish oil, Vitamin E and alcohol.  We do sell camouflage make up that hides the appearances of bruises, however it is typically not used on the lips.  In the future, I would recommend finding a board certified doctor or dermatologist that uses microcannulas when injecting to decrease the chance of bruising.  Since microcannulas are blunt tip needles, it is less likely that a vessel will be hit during the injection.  Also, before moving forward always ensure that there is direct communication between you and your doctor so you both have the same goals and you know exactly what to expect after treatment.   It is not appropriate to assure a patient that they will have no bruising – this is always a possibility.  I hope this helps!

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon