Help! Too Much Restylane in my Nasolabial Folds

I am freaking out. I had resty injected 4 months ago in the folds around my mouth - conservative amount - 1 syringe total. I went back today for a touch up because I thought I needed a bit more. I think Dr. went way overboard! I kept saying, "not too much"...she said it looked great. Ugh, I look like a freak.

I hope it's swelling, but I dont think it is all swelling...seriously, what do I do? I've been massaging it, but maybe that's not a good idea? What now? I cannot go in public. My husband is out of town til Friday so that is why I did this now.

Wait a week for reversing Restylane injections

In this situation, we suggest waiting a week to see if the issue is swelling or too much product. We know that you are in a hurry to solve the issue, but you will not know the answer to the question about what's causing the look until you wait a week or so.

If you decided to go with a reversal (using Hyaluronidase), you might get rid of the product but still have the swelling (sorry!).

Hi legna,

Hopefully by the time you read this your problem has resolved.  If not, excess Restylane can be dissolved with Widase, a hyaluronidase injection.  Hopefully you are better, and your husband is not a reader.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

It probably is just swelling. Wait at least one week to make a decision.

Restylane can end up having some swelling initially, so this is probably going to be just fine. You can sometimes 'massage' it after the procedure, but I wouldn't do this prior to a week or two and usually it is best to go to your doctor that did the procedure for any follow up massage of the area.

Lastly, there is a product called hyaluronidase that can dissolve restylane if it is too much, but in 5 years of doing this filler I have never needed to do this for a patient so it is unlikely that you will need to as well.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Take a deep breath and relax...

Restylane injections cause swelling from the injury of the needle placed into your tissues plus the fact that one of the natural ways Restylane works is by drawing fluid to itself and hanging onto it. The massaging right now is probably more irritating to the tissues than it is helpful. Use ice frequently for the next 3 days and then begin to gently massage again. The swelling will subside and you will see that it is not as bad as you currently think.

The second injection of a filler before the first injection has all gone away causes a more dramatic effect than the first injection. This is because the second injection is layered on top of the firm foundation of the first one and pushes the skin up more effectively.

Chill and Relax.........

First off...don't freak out! That will only raise your blood pressure causing the blood vessels in your skin to fill with more blood and draw more heat to the surface of your face. The reason I mention this is due to the fact that Restylane attracts water and the warmer the surface of your skin is the more likely it is to react and hold water (this natural activity cools down the blood vessels). The end result is that the Restylane in the nasal labial folds will draw from this supply, causing the injected area to appear significantly overfilled. Try ice packs and relax . . . I can tell by the tone of your question that this may be a sensative subject at home, but trust that this is not an unlikely reaction to a follow-up fill!

It's OK to massage - but make sure you have cooled down the NLF's first. Good luck - It will settle down quite a bit in the next couple days.

If the treatment was performed just today, then I would suggest you avoid touching or massaging the area unless it was advised by your injector to do so. This is because product can be displaced. At this time, you are probably affected by swelling, and the massaging may make it worse. Please wait 2 weeks or so and if the swelling hasn’t subsided by that time and you don’t see the results you want, return to your injector for a follow-up.

Likely just severe swelling...

The most likely cause of your problem is severe swelling. This type of swelling is not unusual immediately following Restylane injections. In most cases, it resolves in 24 hours, but may persist for up to 3 to 5 days in rare cases.
Swelling following treatment with Restylane can be a major sources of anxiety for cosmetic surgery patients.It’s important to remember that swelling resolves with the passage of time and the majority of patients are ultimately happy with their result.
Ice compresses prior to and after injections can help minimize swelling following these procedures.When patients have important events in their lives, Restylane injections should be performed at least two weeks in advance.
When nasolabial fullness persist beyond two weeks, other causes should be considered.Under these circumstances, excess Restylane may be the cause.When this situation arises, Restylane can be removed by injecting the enzyme hyaluronidase.
If you’re concerned about nasolabial fullness following Restylane injections, it’s important to discuss the issue with your physician. Your physician should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Too Much Restylane in my Nasolabial Folds

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience. While swelling is possible, the physician could have overinjected. Wait for a couple of days if possible to see if swelling subsides. To correct overinjection, hyaluronidase can be used.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Too Much Restylane in the Nasolabial Folds

Fear not -- it is likely swelling and should resolve over the next several days.  However, if you did receive too much restylane, hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve it.  Resolution usually occurs within 24 hours but the entire effect of the restylane is usually lost as the hyaluronidase is not selective.  It will dissolve all of the restylane.

Too much restylane

More than likely it is just some swelling that you are experiencing, give it some time.  If not hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve it.