How Long Until I See the Effects of Restylane?

I had restylane injection to my mouth 10 days ago and I dont see much difference. I still have many deep crevices above my lips and the skin is still very discolored.

Can these be fixed with restylane or do I need a different procedure?

Full Correction the First Time with Fillers

+2

Hi Grammy Doris,

The results of Restylane injections are apparent immediately, certainly within 24 to 48 hours. Often times patients do not receive enough filler to make a difference and then feel that the filler did not work. If cost were no object, it would be easy for everyone to get full correction, but unfortunately especially in today's economy patients are able to afford only so much. Some physicians will charge only half price for an additional syringe of filler, which if added to the base that was recently placed into you, may make a marked improvement. Patients may require anywhere from 1 to 4 syringes for complete correction.

Deep crevices above the lips are difficult to correct with fillers alone. Fractionated CO2 laser treatments are the treatment of choice at the present time.

Continue to enjoy those grandchildren of yours. Be well.

Dr. P

The results from restylane(or any filler) are immediate

+2

Restylane, like all the HA fillers typically produce immediate results. The add volume or lift to the area injected. It may be that you have concerns that are not directly improvable from adding additional volume, such as the color you mentioned.

I would suggest going back to see your physicain and with a mirror ,and a q-tip as a pointer ,be very specific what it is that bothers you and get feedback what may be done. There are many things that occur in addition to volume loss, that can be improved with various modalities, including skin care, peels, lasers and surgery.

Restylane is not always the best option

+2

When the right filler is chosen, the full amount needed for correction is used and it is injected in the right level of the defect, the results are immediate and can be dramatic.

If the patient needs more filler than their budget will allow, perhaps other options such as fractional laser resurfacing might be a better choice in long run since the results are more long-lasting and filler is often a poor choice for fine lines (except Cosmoderm).

We also use minute injections of Botox sometimes in conjunction with filler to enhance the result. It is therefore so important to trust in the judgment of the dermatologist or plastic surgeon that you choose.

Make sure they are properly trained and boarded in the right specialty. Too many times, I see products maligned in the media, when it was really the doctor's fault in not making the right procedure choice or not injecting the product correctly.

The skin discoloration you mention is very odd and I doubt it is related to the dermal filler, so bo see your dermatologist to diagnose and get this corrected.

Web reference: http://www.drmarylupo.com

New Orleans Dermatologist

Effects of Restylane

+1

If the correct choice of filler is done utilizing the correct depth and with the correct amount, the results will be immediate. If you are utilizing an experienced and expert injector, consult with him or her. If you are a new patient, the injector may have intentionally utilized a smaller amount in order to assess how you react to the treatment. Or, the injector was attempt to maximize the treatment on a limited budget. If you are unsure of the qualifications of the injector, consult with 2 - 3 experiened and expert physician injectors to understand your options.  

Fillers

+1

If the fillers did not achieve the final result that you want, you probably need more.  Speak to your doctor.

Restylane Filler should be immediate

+1

You should notice results immediately from your Restylane treatment. If you do not, you may need more filler. Restylane injections should be visible within a maximum of two days after your treatment.  Like all HA fillers, the effects should be visible after treatment and even before swelling goes down.  Your Restylane treatment should last for 6 months to a year. You may need to schedule another injenction, as some patients requre more filler than others.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-restylane/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for lip wrinkles (yes) and discoloration (not appropriate).

+1

If you have recently had Restylane (or Juvederm) injected for lip lines and don't feel the lines are fully corrected, see your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation. You may simply need more filler, or filler placed differently.

If the problem is a different type of wrinkle, or more diffuse sun damage and aging quality of skin texture, you may benefit from chemical peels or certain types of laser treatments in the area.

You specifically mentioned lip discoloration. This can be due to many factors, and definitely needs an evaluation by a dermatologist to determine if this is benign sun-related discoloration, or perhaps melasma which needs a more complex treatment regimen, or if there is something else wrong such as possibly a pre-cancerous patch.

Do not neglect potential medical issues when pursuing cosmetic improvements. It's all a package deal!

Restylane Results Show Immediate Results and Continued Improvement

+1

Restylane is a space occupying product that is used to fill the space that used to be a crease, dent, or low spot.  It does not rely on your body to do anything for at least some of its filling affect.  Restylane does draw in some water as it sits in the tissues and the tissues will expand under the force of the product to produce further improvement over the first weeks and perhaps months after the injections.  You should always see at least some response immediately.

Your doctor should have taken photos of you prior to your treatment.  If you don't believe you had a change, go back and retake the photos for comparison.  If the change is not visible or minimal, you may have had an insufficient quantity, it may have been injected too deeply, or you may have had a skin type that doesn't expand well.  I always like to encourage patients to ask for the appropriate dosage and accomplish this by heavily discounting all syringes after the first.  I would much rather not profit on the second or third syringe than send a patient out with a less than optimal result.

Web reference: http://www.dr-apo.com/lunchtime-procedures/restylane/

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Results are seen soon

+1

After Restylane injections, you may have a little swelling and bruising that lasts 3-4 days.  You should see the results by then.  Remember, Restylane is injected into or under the skin, but there are still some skin layers over it and muscle activity remains that may result in persistent lines.  If you do not see what you expect in 10 days, ask your doctor if you need more Restylane.  Some deep lip lines may require dermabrasion and/or a little Botox to improve them, however. 

The effects of all dermal fillers except for Sculptra are immediate

+1

As stated above, the effects of all the dermal fillers except for Sculptra when done correctly are immediate and should last 4-12 months depending on the area being treated, the filler being used and each individuals personal slow degradation of the product.  So if it was done correctly and you are not seeing the desired results, you may have been a better candidate for laser resurfacing such as a TotalFX procedure to improve the lines around your mouth.

I hope you found this answer helpful.

Austin Dermatologist