How Long Should I Wait Before I Get my Restylane Injections "Topped Up"?

My restylane in nasio folds last about 3 months, should you wait until the product has completely dispursed before having it repeated. Is there any "layering"effect in not waiting for all the product to disolve?

No problem, but make sure you are actually getting restylane

+3

While it is possible that Restylane can only last 3 months in the lips, it usually lasts up to 6 months if the appropriate amount is being used and the injector is good. There is also the slight possibility that the injector is using an inferior product or a 'black market' product from overseas that could be fake.

In order to make sure of this, insist that you get the box tops from the product in order to send it in for 'Restylane Rewards'. If they won't or can't give it to you, you probably are getting fake or foreign product. This means you ought to go elsewhere.

The other possibility is that they are trying to do too much with too little. If a patient comes to me and wants to get too much done and refuses to do the appropriate amount, I decline to do the procedure. Make sure they aren't using too little as the pain in this area to get it done means they ought to do the right amount so you don't have to do it every three months.

Omaha Dermatologist

6 months until gone!

+3

It usually takes 6 months before Restylane is gone. If you wish to "always look natural" don't wait until its effects are completely gone though! You can always do a layering effect and in fact even use heavier fillers like Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus to give you more of a fill deeper in the skin. If you use the same category of product in the same area it is very unlikely that you will have any complications with your injections, provided they are placed in the correct plane in the skin.

Tanya Kormeili, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

No, Yes

+2

Good Day Maley,

You can always add to filler already in place if you wish for more correction.  You need not wait for the product to dissolve.  You may want to try Perlane (a thicker, sometimes longer lasting form of Restylane)  in the future.  Be well and enjoy your Vegi-mite.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

My style is to not wait until it is completely gone

+2

This is more of a question about doctor's style. There is no right answer. My style is to touch up the previous injection when the correction appears to be waning. It makes more sense to me to walk around with a full or near full correction most of the time then to have swings from full correction to no correction. There is no problem with putting a different filler on top or using the same filler. In some areas, like the lips, sometimes a mild enhancement is done initially. Then, before it is gone, I will enhance the lips further than the original results if the client desires large, full lips. This avoids the "coming out" with real big lips, dividing it up over time.

Steve Weiner, MD

Destin, Florida

Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Restylane and Juvederm: Safe to add additional volume when needed.

+1

As long as you have waited well past the initial, expected "post-treatment swelling" period (maybe even up to a month or so), it is fine to add additional volume of the hyaluronic acid fillers if you feel you would like more volume or line correction.

Restylane and Juvederm do wear off faster in the areas with more movement (smile lines faster than under eye tear troughs, for example), so needing to "top off" filler in these areas sooner does make more sense.

There is scientific evidence that over time, the placement of these fillers in the dermis actually does stimulate your own body to build more collagen, so doing a few more injections may also help your body create its own permanent collagen rebuilding which can help your long term outcome even more.

See a board-certified, careful, and artistic dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatments.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Topping-Off Restylane Best Done Prior to Complete Loss of Earlier Treatment

+1

Injectable fillers like Restylane are essentially a camouflage for the wrinkle, however there is a lot of evidence to suggest it generates natural collagen in your skin and may help support your skin preventing further damage (wrinkling).  There is no doubt that Restylane is a very successful product when used in the smile lines.  More than half of my patients have results that are obvious for greater than 12 months and many have lasted 2 or more years.  Because of the protective effect that I believe Restylane imparts on the skin, I think it is to your advantage to not allow it to fully dissolve prior to a touch-up procedure.  In addition, you will avoid the roller coaster swings by doing smaller amounts more often.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to repeat Restylane injections

+1

There really in no advantage to repeat the injections until you start to see something you do not like.  Restylane may last 3-6 months, depending upon where it is injected.  With each treatment, your body will respond to the injection by forming a little scar tissue (collagen) as it slowly metabolizes (gets rid of) the Restylane.  This new collagen may reduce your need for additional Restylane, too.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Restylane and its longevity

+1

Restylane is a popular and effective dermal filler. It is used best in the dermis of the skin to help you erase deep wrinkles. Restylane commonly lasts approximately 6 months. If you feel that your results do not last that long, it is appropriate to return to your plastic surgeon and receive additional volume. This will help you maintain a long-lasting result

Pat Pazmino, MD

Restylane and retreatment

+1

You do not have to wait for restylane to be completely absorbed to have another treatment. Usually it lasts for about 6 months, certainly if you see it dissipating you can have further treatment.

Waiting period between Restylane treatments depends on personal preference

+1

The bottom line is that the answer to your question depends on personal preference. If you are not happy with your results after 3 months, then you should return for more.

Before returning to the same physician, we'd ask whether or not the product only lasts three months every time as this seems to short a duration to us.

Research shows and we have found that using dermal fillers can actually aid in the development of new collagen and this is one compelling reason to use the products regularly. When the correct amount of product is injected into the smile lines the produce should last 4-6 months and closer to 6 if it is used consistently.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD