Does Restylane Increase Collagen Production?

Is there evidence that having restylane filler increases collagen production in the treated area?

All fillers stimulate some collagen production

+1

All fillers stimulate some collagen production, but the majority of the action of Restylane is related to the actual material and once the material absorbs, the results will go away. However, some collagen is produced just as a reaction to the material or from the needle passing through the area.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Injections of Fillers May Stimulate Collagen Production

+1

There is some evidence that injection of dermal fillers, such as Restylane or Juvederm, does in fact stimulate the body's own production of collagen.  This is not so much because of the product itself, but rather because of stretching of skin cells from the product.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Repeated use of Hyaluronic Acid Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) Results in Collagen Production

+1

The repeated placement of Hyaluronic Acid fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane etc) has been associated with local production of collagen which stretches the duration of successive filler placements. In other words, the more times you had a filler, the longer it will last due to local filling of the area with collagen.

Restylane and collagen stimulation

+1

It is doubtful that restylane causes significant collagen formation after injection that would eliminate the need for further procedures.

Restylane does increase collagen

+1

After multiple treatments, the placement itself of Restylane, not the product, may increase the body's production of collagen at the site of injecitons as a response to the healing of the needle insertions.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Restylane has not shown to produce collagen in studies

+1

Restylane has not shown to produce collagen in studies. But in my experience, I have seen persistent correction of people for longer than what is advertised.  The thought of what process is going on is that there seems to be scar tissue that is forming around the restylane that prevents is degradation.  This is not an uncommon thing that I have noticed in my practice.  I would say that I have seen this in about 5 % of my patient population where they get much longer acting results from restylane injections.  With the manipulation of the needle and the subsequent bruising, I believe that some collagen production is possible but not consistent in my experience.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injection of anything stimulates collagen

+1

Merely the process of injecting a needle without a filler will stimulate collagen growth, in fact there is a technique of making multiple punctures for skin rejuvenation based entirely on that. Some fillers are intended to be active stimulators of collagen growth, which would prolong the effect. The question then is how meaningful it is in terms of the clinical result. There are many advantages to HA fillers such as Restylane, but if collagen growth is the real goal there may be better ways to do it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Yes! Restylane stimulates natural collagen.

+1

Studies by dermatologist John Voorhies (Michigan) have proven that the stretch of dermal fibroblasts by hyaluronic acid fillers like RESTYLANE, stimulate new collagen to be produced. This substantiates the clinical benefit we see from regular filler injections.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Restylane and collagen production

+1

There is a theory that has been recently espoused by many dermatologists. It is that filler injection with hyaluronic acids such as Restylane result in longer term results than previously expected. These effects have been attributed to a stimulation of collagen production at the site of injection.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes there is evidence that Restylane increases collagen

+1

There is very good evidence that Restylane injections increase your own skin's collagen.  The study was performed by John Voorhees, Chairman of the Department of Dermatology and the University of Michigan.  The study showed that the cells that produce collagen are "turned on" to make collagen when they are stretched out by Restylane.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon