Should I Massage Tear Trough After Restylane?

I had one syringe of Restylane injected yesterday for undereye circles.I have no bruising.However, I am rather "lumpy" with one lump beneath left eye and two smaller ones beneath the right. The areas are still tender. Is this just swelling that I should leave alone and allow to diminish, or will these lumps likely harden and set in place....meaning they should be massaged? I was instructed not to massage, but am seeing some doctors on this site who recommend it. If that's what I need to do, I want to proceed while there is more malleability.

Do not massage lumps on your own

+1
Please do not massage the area. Massage should be performed by your injector, so it's best if you see your injector for a followup if the lumps don't resolve themselves in a week or so.

Lumps after undereye filler

+1

The first day after your injection, the lumpiness might just be swelling. I would recommend seeing the doctor or surgeon who did your injections for follow up to see whether massage may be helpful. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Restylane Injections

+1

Lumps and nodules are one of the side effects that could occur after a filler injection.  It is not unusual to have a very small lump at the site of the injection, but this swelling should resolve within a few days.  Before massaging the area, I recommend visiting your doctor so that he/she can take a look and give you proper instructions.  Your doctor may want you to refrain from touching the area to see if the lumps resolve.  If after a few weeks, you are still unhappy with your results you could have hyaluronidase injected to remove the Restylane.  Please keep in mind that the skill and training of the injector is extremely important.  The less experience and education the injector has, the higher the risk of error.  Good Luck!  

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane under eyes lumpy

+1

If you had restylane in your tear trough region yesterday and you feel that it is lumpy,  you should ask your treating doctor what to do.

Should only be done under the supervision of a doctor

+1

For lumps caused by Restylane, massaging the tear trough and around the eyes may be indicated, but should only be done under the supervision of a doctor. But, massaging doesn’t need to be done routinely with injections.  If the lumps don’t go away, they can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How to Soften Resylane After Injection

+1

Five Ways to Soften Restylane:

1.  Massage by the Doctor Immediately After Injection

2.  Massage as needed Within Two Days After Injection

3.  Conservative Volume

4.  Deep Injection Rather than Superficial Placement

5.  Use Hyaluronidase to Reverse If Necessary

George Sun, MD

Massaging after Restylane

+1
There may not be a right answer without examining you. I find it much easier in office to massage immediately than the next day but even that is not easy. Your doctor may inject hyaluronidase to decrease the lumps. Call for an appointment for them to see you.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Do not massage Restylane under your eyes

+1

Because eyelid skin is so thin, it is very common to have some irregularities right after a Restylane injection under your eyes.  Often this is due to swelling and goes away after a week or two.  If you massage the Restylane right after treatment, it may move to an area that will not give you the best cosmetic result.

I advise listening to your cosmetic surgeon.  If things don't seem right after about 2 weeks, see your doctor again and he/she can adjust the problem by dissolving some with Hyaluronidase or adding more Restylane (depending on the problem)

Hope this helps.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon