Removing Scabs in Nose from Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty done about a week ago and my nose is full of scabs. I know this is normal but the scabs are very annoying. I can hardly breathe through my nose at all. Though, I have been using nasal saline solution every few hours, as directed, and also, cleaning my nostrils with Q-tips, it doesn't seem to help with the scabs. Is there anything else I can do to help remove the scabs soon or even more quickly? Or any advice for my situation, in general? I just want to be able to breathe!

Rhinoplasty Healing

+2

It is absolutely normal to have some scabbing, some nasal stuffiness, some swelling and other issues 1 week after Rhinoplasty.  Most Surgeons recommend use of nasal saline to help flush the nose.  However, at this point in your healing process it is most important that you listen to the postoperative instructions of your Surgeon; please do not pick/ manipulate or otherwise interfere with your result. 

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crusts and congestion of the nose after rhinoplasty

+2

I would not recommend removing the scabs. That can cause problems such as infection or bleeding. Your surgeon can help and remove some of the scabs in the office.

Staying well-hydrated, using saline nasal washes,  applying Bactroban ointment on the area and using Hydrogen peroxide soaked Q-tip on the crusts can help a great deal.

Congestion and crusting usually resolves but manipulating the mucosa inside the nose can create problems.

Use nasal saline for crusts and follow your doctors instructions

+1

Most patients get crusting in their nose following rhinoplasty.  Many doctors recommend nasal saline spray.  If the crusts remain unbearable, a visit to your surgeon for a repeat evaluation may be in order.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Cleaning of Crusts after Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Your rhinoplasty surgeon typically reviews the post-surgical management prior to surgery. Being familiar with care instructions early, so that your recovery can proceed smoothly.

Generally, patients are not allowed to manipulate or pick the nose. Rhinoplasty patients are asked to rinse the nasal passages with saline spray, followed by muporicin ointment at least twice daily. Nose blowing is not allowed. Most sutures inside the nose are absorable, but some may be removed about one week after nose job surgery.

Persistent scabs or crust within the nose may be cleaned by the rhinoplasty or plastic surgeon himself/herself with a gentle suction in the office. Patients should not removed anything from the nose themselves, as it may cause bleeding or disrupt healing.

Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon and follow his/her directions.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal clots and how to clean them following nose job

+1

You should really contact your physician for post-op care but I find that dilute hydrogen peroxide, if permitted by your surgeon, is useful.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/facial-surgery-chicago/nose-reshaping/

Scabs in nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

Leave the crust alone. The best way to clean your nose it to use a q-tip gently after coming out of a shower when things are loose and moistened.  Do not force anything out.

Cannot l "scabs"

+1
The scabs you are referring to are attached to the intranasal wounds and the dissolving stitches holding them closed. No surgeon would recommend that you pull or pick at these scabs risking wound opening and or bleeding. You MAY want to try softening the scabs by coating a Q tip with Neosprin ointment and rotating/walking it across the length of the scab. Given a day or so, the ointment will soften the scab and allow the saline to flush them out without wound disruption. Your other option is to see your surgeon and have him carefully remove them to ease your breathing. Dr. Peter A. Aldea

Congestion and scabs after rhinoplasty

+1

Crusts and scabs are normal intranasally after rhinoplasty.  There are likely absorbable sutures inside your nose which can sometimes collect crusts.  Keeping your nose moist with nasal saline is essential.  Don't pick at the sutures or crusts inside your nose after rhinoplasty.  This can cause an infection or prematurely remove a suture.  See your surgeon and get suctioned in the office.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.