Removing Lump of Internal Scar Tissue

Hi, I have some internal scare tissue on my chin. The outside of my chin looks ok but there is a lump of semi hard tissue underneath my skin that I'd like to get rid of. It's about 1/8 in diameter. I was hit by a piece of equipment at a job a few years ago. So just wondering if there any way of getting rid of it and how much it would cost?

Several options for removing scar tissue

+1

Scars can be problematic in various ways. As you mention, sometimes the problem lies with the scar tissue below the surface. What exactly is causing the lump will help determine the best way to treat it.

1. The lump may be due to internal scar tissue - in this case, a steroid injection or series of them may help improve or resolve the lump over the course of several months. If you don't have success, you may need a scar revision, which involves excising the area and resuturing to get a better scar

2. The lump may be due to a retained foreign body - are you certain nothing from the equipment that hit you was left behind? If so, this will need to be removed to get rid of the lump

Dermabrasion, injection, and scar revision might all be options. This scar will have to be evaluated by a dermatologist in person though to know the answer. Cost varies according to what needs to be done, with injection being the most affordable, and revision being more expensive.

Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Lump of internal scar tissue

+1

I would suggest considering one or a series of cortisone injections to the scar to reduce the scar tissue. It may reduce the scar to your satisfaction. Excision (cutting out) the scar would produce a new scar that may be more troublesome than the original scar under the skin. Also, perhaps the lump that you feel is in fact a cyst. I would consult with a dermatologist in your area.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist