Scar Removal or Fading After Mole Removal on Chest?

I have a scar on my chest from a mole that I had tried to remove using BIO-T. The mark that is left now is about three or 4 times the size of the original mole, which is worse looking then the mole was. I have seen a plastic surgeon and he told me that nothing can be done. The surgeon said the mole was removed by a severe burn. What are my options to help heal this scar? It's been healing for roughly 5 months now and I am determined to find something to make its appearance more pleasing.

? Steroid Injections

+2

If the scar is elevated, then steroid injections could flatten it out. Otherwise, you might ask the same plastic surgeon, who was being honest with you, if there is a plastic surgeon who specializes in scar repair. However, as Dr. Rand mentioned the best you could hope for would be a longer, but linear scar.

You might also wait. There are a number of avenues of research in regards to healing. I would not be surprised if, in a few years, scars like this will be removed and treated with a medication causing the wound to heal without a scar.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Scar removal on the chest

+1

Red hypertrophic and keloid scars on the chest do not respond well to surgery. I would begin with nonsurgical management:

1. Cryotherapy
  2. Pressure treatment
  3. Selective IIT
  4. Pulsed Dye Scar Laser

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Several options for scar removal

+1

The scar is permanent and cannot be completely erased. There are, however several options that can improve its appearance:

1. Time - the scar will continue to mature and fade over the next year

2. Silicone sheeting or gel - no one knows why this works, but it can help fade the appearance

3. Steroid injections - can help if the scar is firm or raised. It will help soften and flatten it, but not make it smaller

4. Scar excision (revision) - the scar can be made smaller with excision and purse string suturing or serial excision. It won't completely disappear though, and may spread again with time

5. Pulsed Dye Laser - will help get the redness out

6. Fractional non ablative or ablative laser - will help fade the apperance.

In short, no one thing will help it disappear, but many things can improve certain aspects of your scar.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar of Chest following mole removal with Bio-T

+1

Tincture of time and over the counter silicone gel preparations are the best options for treating your scar. I would avoid the use of lasers in this area.

Scar on chest

+1

Unfortunately, the chest is a notoriously bad place for scars. For now, I'd suggest massage with emu oil, vit E or whatever else you want. IPL lasers can help without making this worse. Steroid injections if it is raised and thick. And time, time, time.

Otherwise, you could have it excised and closed by a plastic surgeon but that would lead to about a 3 inch linear scar.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS