Should I Remove a Crown if It Doesn't Cause Any Discomfort?

I recently changed my dentist as I wasn't really happy with my NHS dentist. This private dentist has now advised me to have a crown removed, I had root canal treatment and this crown less than a year ago. I did have toothache on this crown soon after I had it done, to which the NHS dentist gave me antibiotics. Since then this tooth has been fine, no ache and no symptoms. Should I have this crown removed and have an implant done?

Should I have my crown removed if its not bothering me?

+1

You should see the radiograph to see what the dentist sees and have them explain his or her reasons.... good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD       CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth seems fine should I remove the crown and get implant?

+1

There is an old saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it!" This is what comes to mind when I read your question. You are exhibiting no symptoms so I would  do nothing until you actually know why your new private dentist diagnosed an implant case! If you have decay under the crown, you should take care of that. I would not do work that is unnecessary unless there is a substantial reason your new dentist can give you  to do an implant! I also would get a second opinion so you feel more comfortable with the diagnosis.

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Should I Remove a Crown

+1

It all depends on the reason that the dentist told you. If he did not explain why, please ask him. You are entitled to know why it should be removed.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Should I Have A Crown Replaced?

+1

Hi Joey.  I would love to help, but I am unclear on what you are considering.  I understand that the tooth has a root canal and these teeth typically will not produce symptoms even if there is a probem.  If your dentist is recommending a new crown you probably have recurrent decay or an ill fitting crown. If this is the case replace it.  If he/she is recommending an extraction and implant there is something more serious occuring with this tooth.  This will be more involved and you should ask questions and be clear prior to starting any treatment.  Good luck.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Treatment should have reasons

+1

It here should be a reason for any treatment, even if it just for looks.  It would help to know why the we dentist is suggesting a new crown.  Dental implants are for when an entire tooth fails, so there likely is something going on.

Web reference: Http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Crown replacement

+1

Hey Joey,

I'm having a little trouble understanding the situation. An implant involves removing the entire tooth not just a crown. So, is your dentist suggesting to replace a bad crown with a better crown or to remove the entire tooth and go with an implant?  Also, why is the dentist suggesting this work? Is there infection? Is the tooth cracked? Is the crown leaking and bacteria getting in?  It would also be helpful if you could provide an x-ray for us to look at.  Lastly, if you aren't sure if the treatment is right for you it's always a good idea to seek a second and if necessary a third opinion from another dentist.  Good Luck!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist