how many times should i let my dentist "adjust" my teeth?

I had a crown replaced on #14 in August. No pain, no adjusting necessary. She did notice an old crown on 13 was cracked and said it would probably break off. It did. Had a new one put on November 7th. I had no problems with the temporary but when the permanent crown was put on it didn't feel right. I heard and felt a "click" when she glued it on. I told her it didn't feel right. She said it would feel a little tight at first. The next morning it felt like a wedge had been put between my teeth. My bite on my whole left side was off. My gums were irritated and I felt a lot of pressure and pain in the upper left quad. I went back to her 5 times for her to 'adjust' my bite. Still had a lot of pain and pressure. Told her I felt a ridge or something on the margin on 13. She looked, but did not probe and said there was nothing there and that there was a good seal. By then it was Christmas break and I couldn't see her for another 12 days! I was still in a lot of pain and by now I was only hitting on 14. Three days later I took some floss and dug and dug under the gum between 12 and 13 and out popped a piece of cement! Instantly the pressure and gum pain was gone! So I think my teeth went back to their correct position, but by now the rest of my teeth had been 'adjusted' so many times my bite was way off and the only tooth I was touching  was 14. It hurt very much. When I went back to her after the break she sent me to an endo for a root canal on 15 which had been sensitive to hot and cold for a few years. She wanted me to see this doctor because he had some occlusion training. He did the root canal and also 'adjusted' 14. Now I am only hitting on my front teeth, not on  my molars. What are my options? Do I go back to the endo and get more 'adjusting' or do I have to see an ortho? and who pays for all of this?  

How many times do need an adjustment?

+2

I would start at the beginning remove the crown place a temp and see how your bite settles in, if it doesn't consider neuromuscular dentistry help the muscles settle in and then adjust your bite, explain this to your dentist and I am sure they will work something out good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD        CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Problems with bite adjustments

+2

Wow, sorry to hear about all that. This is not a simple problem to resolve at this point. Endodontist are trained to do root canals. Yes, they know about other things but typically they do not do bite adjustments other than on the tooth they are working on.

By now it sounds like your whole bite is off. At this point, I suggest you seek a second opinion. Find a dentist who is trained in occlusion (bite issues) from places like " The Pankey Institute", "Spear Center" or "Dawson", you could also look for a Prosthodontist. These people typically have a good understanding of the way the bite should fit together and how to properly adjust it. You may ask your dentist to reimburse you if you feel the whole problem started from that crown. I cannot tell you who is at fault since I did not see you and I am only hearing your side of the story.

I would recommend to take study models of your teeth and properly mount them on an articulator (jaw simulator). Once mounted, the dentist can see what needs to be done on the models and suggest treatment based on that. The adjustment can be done on the models to make sure it will work prior to doing it in you own teeth. If the adjustments can be done with selective grinding it is called an Oclusal Equilibration. However, in some cases the bite discrepancy is so much that selective grinding would destroy your teeth and you would then have to consider orthodontics

Good luck

Dr. T

P.S. Hearing a click when a crown is cemented is not a good thing. It could be that some porcelain broke or even the tooth or tooth root cracked. Hopefull it is the former. Maybe the piece of cement you dug out was a sliver of porcelain.

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

ADJUST TO A NEW DENTIST

+1

Adjustments as you stated are for bite issues. I'm surprised that an x-ray of that tooth was not done after cementation when you returned with pain so many times.  It would have ruled out excess cement or truama of any sort. Now you have no molar occlussion? Not Good. I think you need to switch up dentists. You have LVI right there in Nevada. Give them a call for a consultation.

Red Bank Cosmetic Dentist