Can I Get an 'Onlay' Instead of a 'Crown' After a Root Canal on Tooth 13 - Premolar? (photo)

Isn't onlay a more conservative route, preserving more of my natural tooth? Would need a post for an onlay or is that just for crown? Also, what does it mean to leave 'post room' during a root canal? Where do I see that in the xray? One other question, why do I still a little black(nerve) right neat the filling after a root canal?

Onlay Or Crown After Root Canal

+1

An onlay would be more conservative if there was a smaller amount of decay with less tooth structure missing. I think the best bet here is a post, bonded core build up and a crown.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Onlay vs crown

+1

You could do an onlay but I wouldn't recommend it.  You've lost a lot of tooth structure, weakening the tooth.  Also, after a root canal, a tooth will become brittle over time which will lead to fractures if not properly restored.  I would recommend a post and build up and a crown.  As for your last two questions, they coincide.  The "post room" is the "black nerve" you are seeing.  It is not nerve but space left by the endodontist for the dentist to place a post into your root for added stability.

Bradley Matthew, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

In lay or crown?

+1

Based on the radiograph and the amount of missing tooth structure I suggest a full coverage crown with a core build up good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Onlay vs crown

+1

based on the x-ray I would prefer a crown. There is not much tooth structure left and the margin between 13 and 14 is very deep under the gum. You need better tooth structure and a margin that is not soo deep to get a predictable long term onlay.

Depending on how many walls and how think they are, you may or may not need a post as well.

good luck

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Crown vs onlay

+1

You might be able to do an onlay, but it may not be as predicable as a crown.  There is a lot of lost tooth structure.  The decay extends below the gumline on the back of the tooth and that is not compatible with a good margin.  The best would be to shave some off the top or the tooth and just let it erupt up a couple of millimeters or even use a little orthodontics.  Looking at the x-ray the margin is at the level of the bone.  It needs to be at least 2mm from the bone or it will be chronically irritated and cause gum disease or a food pocket.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist