When Should Cast Be Removed After Rhinoplasty?

Also my cast would be removed 5 days after rhinoplasty surgery. I thought it was a minimum of 7 days after. Was also told I can fly 5-6 days after my surgery. Am I getting positive information?

Flying after rhinoplasty

I tend to leave the cast in place for 6 or 7 days post-op.

As for flying, remember that the cabin is a very dry place, so I recommend the frequent use of a saline (salt water) nasal spray throughout the flight (most bottles are way less than the 3 oz. limit imposed by the TSA). If the flight's longer than about two hours, I also recommend getting up and walking the aisle a few times to minimize the risk of deep vein thrombosis (clots in the deep veins of the legs). But flying after a week should be fine.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty splinting

Heather,

Five days for nasal splinting is the norm. The splint is used primarily to decrease swelling, which is most severe in the first few days following surgery. After that time it doesn't serve much purpose. Flying is most frequently delayed for one week following surgery. When you do fly, if it is longer than a two hour flight make sure you get up and walk several times and exercise your calf muscles to prevent blood clots from forming in your legs. Good luck!

Rhinoplasty and splint

A rhinoplasty splint is usually removed about 1 week after surgery. It is ok to remove it a bit earlier or a bit later. I would not worry about that. 

Rhinoplasty, When is Cast Removed and When Can Patient Fly?

Hi Heather,

I remove nasal splints or casts from my rhinoplasty patients at 5 days after surgery (i.e. surgery on Friday, cast off on the following Weds). It does no harm to leave it on for 7 days.

I have had patients fly after they had their cast removed, 5 to 7 days after their surgery.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cast not important after rhinoplasty.

Hello, again.

1) We keep the "cast" (it's really a splint) on for 5 days after a rhinoplasty. Some excellent surgeons don't use a splint at all.

2) We like out of town patients to stay in New York for one week after surgery before they fly. This is the period of risk for a nose bleed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Rhinoplasty cast can be removed after 6 to 7 days

Hi Heather,

The cast is mainly to reduce postop swelling. It can be removed 6 to 7 days after.

I usually let patients fly at 7 days postop and have never had any problems.

The most immediate concern is postop bleeding and/or infection. By 7 days these risks are greatly reduced.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Ask your doctor for cast removal after Rhinoplasty

People have individual ways of doing surgery. That is why medicine is an art, not an exact science. I remove splints 3-7 days after surgery and do not suggest flying for over a week -- but then again, if you are having problems after surgery, then flying could be delayed further. This is surgery not a trip to the beauty parlor.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Cast removal after rhinoplasty

The answer as to when to remove the splint (or cast) should be left up to your doctor. They know what was done and how long it needs to stay on. Sometimes after an infracture (braking) of the nose, the bones are so stable that the cast is only used to help decrease swelling. I would say 5 days is average for many surgeons.

Dean Fardo, MD

Rhinoplasty cast should be removed 5-7 days after surgery

The cast from a rhinoplasty is usually removed anywhere from day 5 to day 7 following a rhinoplasty surgery. In our office we remove the cast usually on day 6. Anywhere from five to seven days is an acceptable time period.

Nasal cast left in place for 6-7 days after Rhinoplasty

I usually leave the cast in place for 6-7 days after the operation. Depending on your particular surgery, 5 days is probably appropriate. Our patients can fly after the cast is removed.