When Should Cast Be Removed After Rhinoplasty?

Also my cast would be removed 5 days after rhinoplasty surgery. I thought it was a minimum of 7 days after. Was also told I can fly 5-6 days after my surgery. Am I getting positive information?

Flying after rhinoplasty

+3

I tend to leave the cast in place for 6 or 7 days post-op.

As for flying, remember that the cabin is a very dry place, so I recommend the frequent use of a saline (salt water) nasal spray throughout the flight (most bottles are way less than the 3 oz. limit imposed by the TSA). If the flight's longer than about two hours, I also recommend getting up and walking the aisle a few times to minimize the risk of deep vein thrombosis (clots in the deep veins of the legs). But flying after a week should be fine.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and splint

+3

A rhinoplasty splint is usually removed about 1 week after surgery. It is ok to remove it a bit earlier or a bit later. I would not worry about that. 

Ask your doctor for cast removal after Rhinoplasty

+3

People have individual ways of doing surgery. That is why medicine is an art, not an exact science. I remove splints 3-7 days after surgery and do not suggest flying for over a week -- but then again, if you are having problems after surgery, then flying could be delayed further. This is surgery not a trip to the beauty parlor.

Nasal cast off in 5-7 days.

+2

Most surgeons leave the cast on for 5-7 days. It is only the preference of each surgeon.

It keeps swelling down and protects against trauma.

Nasal Cast for 7 days

+2

Most surgeons would agree that casting the nose after Rhinoplasty (especially if osteotomies are performed) is a good idea to protect the nose and serve as a reminder of the procedure. However, the length of time a cast should remain on is more a product of surgeon preference than real science. I typically leave the cast (fiberglass) on for 7 days, after which I tape the nose (brown paper tape) for another week. The nasal bones take a full 6 weeks to heal after osteotomies, so care should be taken during this period postoperatively. I like my patients to remain in town until after the cast is removed, so 1 week of flying restriction is typical.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cast can be removed 5 to 7 days after rhinoplasty

+2

As you can see, the range is 5 to 7 days. And yes flying would be acceptable in 1 week. Hope this helps you in making a decision. Best of Luck!

The cast in rhinoplasty is to help with swelling more than maintaining correction

+2

The cast in rhinoplasty in my opinion serves two main purposes. The first is to keep the swelling down so that it does not shift the bones or grafts for the first five to seven days. The second is to serve as a reminder not to bump your nose. The timing of removal may be more dependent upon the extent of rhinoplasty you are having and if it is smooth and uncomplicated those two days should not make a difference.

The only reason not to fly sooner is because of the risk of bleeding. If you are young and otherwise healthy there probably will not be any issues. However, I will say if you have work done on the inside or there is significant swelling, the flight could be quite miserable before two weeks due to pressure changes and the inability to clear your ears. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty splinting

+2

Heather,

Five days for nasal splinting is the norm. The splint is used primarily to decrease swelling, which is most severe in the first few days following surgery. After that time it doesn't serve much purpose. Flying is most frequently delayed for one week following surgery. When you do fly, if it is longer than a two hour flight make sure you get up and walk several times and exercise your calf muscles to prevent blood clots from forming in your legs. Good luck!

Rhinoplasty, When is Cast Removed and When Can Patient Fly?

+2

Hi Heather,

I remove nasal splints or casts from my rhinoplasty patients at 5 days after surgery (i.e. surgery on Friday, cast off on the following Weds). It does no harm to leave it on for 7 days.

I have had patients fly after they had their cast removed, 5 to 7 days after their surgery.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Cast not important after rhinoplasty.

+2

Hello, again.

1) We keep the "cast" (it's really a splint) on for 5 days after a rhinoplasty. Some excellent surgeons don't use a splint at all.

2) We like out of town patients to stay in New York for one week after surgery before they fly. This is the period of risk for a nose bleed.