How Difficult is It to Fix Broken Nose Tip?

4 years ago, I was in an car accident hitting my nose (bottom/tip area) very hard. I didn't think it was broken at the time; the bone felt straight and I had no bleeding at all (but a lot of swelling.)

A few years later, I can see that the tip of the nose definitely goes off to the right side a little in a face-on view. It seems I must have displaced/broken the cartilage of the lower nose (septum?) without breaking the upper part or bone. How difficult would this be to fix? Thank you!

Straightening a twisted nose

+1

Your complaint is a common one after septal injury, fracture or hematome.  This is a relatively common problem.  In general several steps are required to reverse the twisting caused by post traumatic healing/scarring.  Firstly a separation of components must be performed.  This means separation of the four major shaping cartilages from eachother and from the septum.  Once they are relieved from the scarring and pressures exerted on eachother they can be assessed for form and needed interventions.  the next step is to relieve distorting pressures from the central septum.  this is achieved with what is commonly referred to as a submucous resection.  the central septum is removed leaving the structurally important parts intact.  sometimes this intervention alone is enogh to straighten the nose and repositioning of the four major cartilages is all that is necessary.  Other times, the removed piece of septum must be carved into batton grafts and sewed to the septum to straighten it.  Additional grafts may be necessary to achieve adequate and centralized tip projection.  A well trained plastic and reconstructive surgeon should be able to deliver you beautiful results.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Fixing a Broken Nasal Tip

+1

It is quite possible to dislocate or otherwise injure the cartilaginous septum or tip cartilages without fracturing the nasal bones. It could certainly present in the fashion you are describing. A thorough examination should be able to determine what is causing the problem and surgery should most likely be able to improve the situation although warping of the cartilage can sometimes make the surgery technically more difficult. Best of Luck

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Fixing a broken nasal tip

+1

It is certainly common to fracture cartilage independently of the nasal bones during an accident involving the nose. This can cause the nasal tip to be twisted and appear very asymmetric. The septum and tip cartilages can be broken, twisted, and warped over time from a nasal injury. Very frequently structural cartilage grafts are harvested from the inside of the nose and placed internally to augment the twisted portion of the nose to create more symmetry. This also usually allows for better breathing. Occasionally, the nasal bones will need to be broken as well if they are twisted and fractured.

Broken nasal tip can be repaired

+1

A 'broken" nasal tip, composed of only cartilage, can be repaired. Although it is more difficult to correct deviation of the cartilage, improvement can be achieved by a good rhinoplasty surgeon.. 

Is it difficult to fix a broken nose

+1

A skilled rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to correct the displaced or deformed nasal tip, whether or not it is from direct trauma.

If there is no displacement of the nasal bones, they do not have to be broken (osteotomies). However, the upper half of the nose where the nasal bones are present will remain unchanged.

In certain circumstances, it may be desirable to perform osteotomies of the nasal bones in order to better realign the nose. In your case, this may not be necessary and the work would strictly involve the cartilages of the nasal septum as well as the nasal tip.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Where the septum goes...So goes the nose.

+1

If the tip of your nose is deviated after nasal trauma, it could be from a septal fracture. You should consult a board-certified, experienced Rhinoplasty specialist to diagnose your problem, and make specific recommendations.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose repair

+1

Correcting a deviation sustained from a broken nose can be accomplished by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is a very common procedure. Like you said, it sound like a septum that may have fractured.

Fixing broken nose tip should be done by boarded surgeon

+1

It is an operation that MUST be done by a boarded surgeon. Go see 3 in your area in person to get a variety of opinions. Internet opinions are ok but in person evaluations is the best alternative. Merry Merry.

Fixing the lower part of the nose

+1

A crooked tip can result from either nasal trauma or can even be congenital in nature. It is a little bit more difficult to fix than the classic broken nose involving the nasal bones. Depending upon the extent of your injury, you may need the cartilages of the lower third of your nose reshaped or it may be just a manner of fixing the crooked septum which is pushing the lower third of your nose. In complicated situations, grafts may be required from the septum itself to camoflauge any irregularities. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose tip is corrected with internal sutures and grafts.

+1

Hi.

You need some variation of a tip rhynoplasty.  There has been a lot of progress with tip surgery.  The end of your septum may be deviated.  The tip cartilages themselves can now be individually sculptured by slight resection, internal sutures, and different small cartilage grafts.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)