Reconstitution of Sculptra - How Much Time Before Injection Do You Give?

Do you reconstitute your sculptra min. 12 hours as recommended before dilution to avoid lumps. Mine I don't think was, as I was talked into it 15-20 min. before injection (unless it had been prepared for a no-show) and now I have developed lumps 3 months post injection.

Time before reconstitution of Sculptra

+3

To minimize the risk of nodule formation, I typically reconstitute Sculptra a minimum of 48 hours before injection and often longer than that. However, you should know that because some physicians treat so many patients with Sculptra, they always have some reconstituted and ready for use. You should return to your injecting physician to have your lumps evaluated and discuss your concerns.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

When Reconstituting Sculptra, Longer Is Better

+2

Sculptra is an excellent product for giving a more youthful appearance to one's face.  I have used it for several years for both reconstructing HIV damaged faces as well as for purely cosmetic purposes.  I reconstitute Sculptra 3-4 days before a planned injection with sterile water, but I would not feel uncomfortable having it present for 1 week before an injection.  At the time of injection, I dilute the 3 cc sterile water Sculptra mixture with 5 ccs of 2% lidocaine.  During the injection process, my assistant and I rub the Sculptra into the tissue.  Then I have my patient sit in a separate room where they can massage their face for 30 minutes with both 4x4s and little ice packs to disperse the Sculptra and to decrease bruising.   Next, I have them take home some 4x4s and ice packs and massage for at least 2 hours the day of injection, and for at least 2 hours the day after injection.  Then I see them back 3 days after injection to be sure no lumping has occurred.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Give Sculptra plenty of time

+2

Sculptra is an excellent product to re-establish volume to the face. It may delay a need to consider a facelift in some instances, or supplement a facelift in others.

Time is important in the preparation AND in the use of Sculptra.

It is important that it be prepared minimum of 12 hours in advance. We like to let it fully dissolve over 48 hours. Also enough dilution should be used.

Technique is paramount. Sculptra is best employed in certain areas of the face, and should generally be placed deeply.

Finally, one should bear in mind that unlike traditional fillers, Sculptra builds volume over time.  For that reason adequate time needs to be given between sessions.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reconstitution of Sculptra

+2

We always make sure that the sculptra is reconstituted at least 24 hours before we inject the product in to the patient.  Because we treat a large number of patients with Sculptra, we always have some reconstituted and  we can treat new patients on the same day as consultation with product that has been mixed at least 24 hours prior to treatment.  Follow up with your physician reagarding the lumps and express your concerns.

Rebecca L. Euwer, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps after Sculptra

+2

Lumps after Sculptra use to be very common after the treatment was introduced and the high occurrence is proven to be associated with the following:

1.Poor injection skill or superficial injections.

2. Low volume dilution

3. Absence of massaging after the treatment.

Once diluted, it remains stable for 2-3 weeks.

A lot of practices keep diluted Sculptra on shelf to be able to inject at any time and just add local anesthetic before the injection.

You "lumps" might  be cause by localized blood collection.

If they are not visible, you can wait and they may resolve  spontaneously.

if they are visible, the tremens will be dependent on the cause and location.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Reconsitution

+1

The recommendation on the Sculptra package insert is to reconstitute the product 2 hours prior to use.  Many physicians prefer to reconstitute much in advance of this 2 hour mark. The most important aspect of the reconstitution is to make sure that the product is in a good suspension.  While this is easier if the reconstitution is done more in advance of the 2 hour mark, it is not impossible if done in a shorter time span.  If it is reconstituted at a shorter time interval, the vial has to be agitated for a longer time and more vigorously to achieve the same level of suspension.  Once this is achieved, it should not affect the development of lumps (papules or nodules).   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon