Sculptra Under Eyes?

I had two vials of sculptra injected into my cheek area just under my eyes. Now my eyes look swollen because the malar bags are like pillows where he injected this stuff. Is this proper filler for under the eyes?

Sculptra treatment for under eyes

+2

Sculptra should not be injected immediately below the eyes because it is possible to get visible lumps in that area due to the thin skin.  It can be injected into the upper cheek with good results.  I'm not sure exactly where your Sculptra was injected, but this could make a difference in regards to your problem.  There have been instances when fillers have caused swelling in the malar bag region, and this is thought to be due to the lymphatic drainage of the face.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra acceptable but maybe not ideal under eyes

+2

For directly under the eyes (within the bony orbit area) usually a hyaluronic acid filler is used. Sculptra can be placed there but must be small amounts and very dilute because the action of the muscles in that area tends to push the particles together more than other areas so the area is at greater risk for lumps. Sculptra is great on the cheeks. It does not sound like you are having any lumps in the area and probably the puffy and swelling is just temporary and will go down. Massage may help the swelling and will help prevent any lumps or bumps from developing.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Sculptra and the under eye area

+2

Because Sculptra is small particles of poly-L-lactic acid, it's not usually used in the areas where there are circular muscles, like the lips and around the eyes.  The circular muscle may tend to push the Sculptra particles out and form nodules.

The cheek is a perfectly fine area to fill with Sculptra, even up higher on the cheek as long as the eyelid itself is not filled.

Usually the edema that results from Sculptra injections is transient, lasting several days.  I also have my patients do a fairly vigorous massage of the injected areas for 5 minutes 5 times a day for 5 days.  That helps distribulte the Sculptra particles evenly.

Icing the area for 5-10 minutes every two hours may help, taking care not to overcool the delicate eyelid areas.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra

+1

Sculptra should not be injected directly underneath the eyes as this is a high risk area.  There are other products, like Juvederm and Restylane that can be safely used in that area.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Is Sculptra a good choice for under the eyes?

+1

The best results are achieved when Sculptra is used to restore volume in the following hollow areas:

1) Temples
2) Cheeks
3) Chin
4) May also help to define the jawline

I do not inject Sculptra directly underneath the eyes because I prefer to use other products in this area.  The skin in this area is so thin that it is possible to see more irregularities in this area when injected with Sculptra than a hyaluronic acid filler.

Sculptra is not recommend for use in or around the lips. In general, side effects from Sculptra injections may include:

1) Swelling
2) Numbness
3) Bruising
4) Redness

I would recommend following up with your physician who performed the injections regarding any concerns you have about side effects you are experiencing. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon