Is 7 Days Too Early to Remove Stitches for Upper Blepharoplasty?

I recently had upper blepharoplasty, the surgeon did a cross stitch that is to be removed in 7 days. Is 7 days too long to remove the stitches? I'm concerned about the cross stitch pattern scaring. How common is that stitch technique? Thanks

Stitches after plastic surgery around the eyes

+2

At my Austin, Texas area plastic surgery practice I typically remove upper eyelid sutures at about 5-7 days if I am not using resorbable sutures.  Having sutures in for 7 days in your case is fine and the lines will go away quickly after the sutures are removed.  The upper eyelid skin heals very well and typically scars are barely visible within 6 months.  Best of luck, Dr. Kerr

Suture removal after eyelid surgery

+2

In my practice the eyelid sutures are removed on the 3d or 4th day after surgery and the incision on upper eyelid and lateral side of lower eyelid are then covered with a very fine steristrips (paper tapes) for an additional 3 days. Leaving the sutures 7 days should be OK, but I definitely will not leave them more than 7 days. This explanation should not be considered as medical advice and is only for information purpose. Every surgeon has his or her own way of doing postoperative care depending on the training, experience and patient condition. You trusted your surgeon to do your surgery; I would recommend that you follow your doctor instructions and recommendations.

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid stitch removal

+2

Most surgeons remove stitches from the upper eyelids between 4 - 7 days.  The timing is determined by the tension on the suture line - the more tension, the longer the stitches are left intact.  Scarring from stitches is usually not a factor until after seven days.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty sutures may be removed 3-7 days post-op.

+2

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty incisions heal inconspicuously in nearly everyone. I typically remove sutures from the upper eyelid incisions around 5 days post-op. There should be no problem waiting till day-7 in most cases.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Suture Removal At One Week Is Perfectly Acceptable

+2

While plastic surgeons will have different suturing techniques and suture materials for eyelid surgery, these differences are not significant and no one particular method has been shown to produce superior scar results. The same can be said for the timing of suture removal. Removal between 4 and 7 days is most common and that is largely a surgeon preference based on their experience.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Suture removal

+2

Suture removal after eyelid surgery can take place as early as three days after surgery. There is not a correct time to remove sutures as patients heal differently and it may depend on the type of suture used and the surgery performed.

Gary Lelli, Jr., MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sutures for blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)

+2

There is no absolute right answer to this question, and it also depends on the type of suture material your surgeon used. The average length of time would be between 4 and 7 days to remove sutures after upper blepharoplasty as the thin eyelid skin heals very quickly.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitches and 7 days

+2

Eyelid sutures are usually removed in my practice within a week and sometimes as early as 3-4 days.

Eyelid suture removal

+2

Every surgeon has a slightly different approach to surgery and wound closure, which includes suture material and placement. Most surgeons remove sutures 4-6 days out. One or two days later is not going to significantly impact the outcome in the long run. Bottom line, trust your surgeon.

Scott M. Goldstein, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Not a problem

+2

Removing sutures at 7 days is not a problem and is well within the range of when most surgeons remove eyelid sutures.  Don't worry!

Mikel Lo, MD
Tucson Oculoplastic Surgeon