Are There Things Than Can Speed Up the Recovery from Eyelid Surgery?

Is there a recommended diet, cream, vitamin and/or medication that could be taken before and after eyelid surgery to make the healing process efficient and quick?

Eyelid Surgery Recovery

+2

Eyelid surgery involves soft tissues that normally move a lot, in a highly visible area.  For a "fast" recovery, you want to avoid visible bruising, and also like to decrease swelling.  Technically, your surgeon will do their best to minimize bleeding and will be gentle with the tissues to minimize swelling.  After surgery, your activities are the most important determinant as to how quickly you will recover.  For the first 48-72 hours, swelling will normally increase, so you should work to combat swelling by keeping your head elevated and using mild cold therapy (I prefer wash colths moistened in ice water - frost bite is not possible with this technique).  Bruising is related to blood at the time of surgery, or new amounts of small bleeding after surgery.  The highest risk period for bleeding is the first 2 days, so you should minimize motion during that time period.  Since the eyelids move every time you open your eyes, ideally you should lay back, relax and listen to music (or an audio book) for the first 2-3 days.  If you read or watch TV, the lids will be opening / closing and the eyeball will be moving (in the area where fat was removed), which can increase bruising. 

Other, non-motion/position related issues for bruising / swelling are related to diet.  To decrease swelling you should avoid salty foods.  For bruising - avoid fish oil / oil vitamins and certainly don't take aspirin!  I think that Arnica Montana and Bromelain do help with resolution of bruising / swelling, and recommend them to my patients (as long as there are no allergy issues).  Speak with your surgeon before adding anything to your post-operative regime.

Best regards,
Dr. B

Speeding Up Recovery Post Eyelid Surgery

+2

The key is to keep your head elevated, limit your salt intake, eat a high protein diet, and use cold compresses for the first 5 days.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Recovery from Eyelid Surgery

+1

There are a few things we can suggest to speed up the healing time after having eyelid surgery.  Taking Bromelain a few days before and few days after surgery can sometimes help to prevent bruising and swelling. We also suggest that patients do not lay flat for at least 2 weeks.  Elevate  your head when in bed with a couple of pillows. We suggest no heavy lifting, vacuuming or bending over from the waist.  These movements increase your blood pressure and in-turn can promote bleeding.   

David Alessi, MD

Speedy Recovery

+1

There is not always a guaranteed speedy recovery with any surgery. However, there are guidelines and steps that I provide to my patients before surgery and typically at their consultation to be aware of the methods for optimum results. Below are the top points I would suggest for you to follow in order to ensure a great recovery. As always talk to your physician about any concerns and questions you may have. 

• Correct any health problems prior to surgery especially blood pressure problems; in other-words be at your best health possible for surgery.
  • Eat a regular, well balanced diet
  • Take a multi-vitamin including iron and minerals daily prior to surgery
  • Two weeks prior to surgery stop medications that predispose you to bruising & bleeding. (i.e. Advil, fish oils) 
  • Make sure your physician knows all medications you are taking including any over the counter medication so he can assure there will be no adverse reactions.
  • If you have nausea or vomiting with prior surgery alert your physician or anesthesiologist so they can alter your medications to prevent the chance of nausea & vomiting after anesthesia.
  • It is advisable to sleep on your back with your head elevated at 45 degrees to minimize swelling. 
  • Refrain from any exercise or strenuous activity, typically for 4 weeks or as advised by your physician. 
  • Use a cold saline compress for the first 24 hours for comfort and to reduce swelling and bruising. 
  • Follow any further post op instructions from your surgeon & alert your him/her if you notice any problems right away.

Hope you have a wonderful upcoming recover! 

Dean Johnston, MD FACS 

Dean L. Johnston, MD

Eyelid Surgery Healing

+1

Although there are no proven "heal fast" remedies after surgery, there are certainly things that will make the swelling worse.  Therefore, we instruct patients to avoid strenuous activity, heavy lifting, bending over, or lying flat for 2 weeks after surgery.  Ice helps minimize swelling in the acute phase (12-24 hours after surgery), and Bromelain (found in large quantities in pineapple) can help minimize bruising.  That having been said, our bodies have a healing response to injury that follows a defined pathway written in our genetic code.  There is no such thing as a "no downtime surgery" or "surgery for an active lifestyle".

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Speeding up eyelid surgery recovery

+1

Eyelid surgery is usually followed by a period of moderate swelling and bruising.  I find that the administration of anti inflammatory steroids at the time of surgery significantly decreases the amount and duration of swelling.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon