Push-ups After Mommy Makeover with Breast Augmentation?

I am six weeks post-op and used to do push-ups regularly. I love the definition in my arms from them. I have been cleared for exercise, but tried a push-up today. I had the strength, and felt fine on my way down. However, on my way up, it felt like the implants were moving out to my sides in a very strange way, also I felt pain in my nipples. Yikes! I was soo disappointed! Now, I'm afraid to try again in the future! Will there be a time when I could try again and this won't happen?

Implants move nipples hurt with pushups

+4

I feel that it is important to be as active as you can, as soon as you can after breast lift and implants.  There will come a time when you will feel normal doing pushups.  With that said, it is important to listen to your body and not overdo your activity.  It may be that your muscles are so strong that it is going to take a little more time for them to stretch to accomodate the implants.  I would try again every week until it starts to feel normal. 

Push ups 6 weeks after Mommy Makeover with Breast Augmentation

+3

Of course speak to your doctor for advice.

6 weeks is usually adequate time following Mommy Makeover with Breast Augmentation to begin strenuous exercise such as sit ups and push ups.

However since you are feeling discomfort it is best to slow down-perhaps try half body push ups on your knees until the discomfort goes away which it likely will.

Most likely your Breast Implants were placed beneath the Pectoralis Muscle which is contracted during a push up. This muscle contraction will push the implants to the side and may press on the Nerve to the Nipple which causes your discomfort.

In time this pain will subside, but you will need to become comfortable with the displacement of your implants during contraction of the Pectoralis Muscle.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Upper body exercise post breast augmentation

+3

It is normal for you to experience weakness after surgery. You will regain your strength over time and may need to work back into the push-ups. I ask my patients to wait at least 6-8 weeks before any heavy-lifting, push-ups, pull-ups, and other strenuous exercises that may involve the chest muscles. In your case, a longer wait time may be necessary. Consult with your surgeon if you feel the implants are moving out of position.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

+3

This is a very common response after implants due to the contraction of the pectoral muscle causing the implants to go laterally. The nipple pain is due to scar tissue associated with the sub muscular placement. 

Push-ups after augmentation

+3

Every plastic surgeon is different, but if implants are under the muscle, I prohibit my patients from doing push-ups, bench presses, and "flys" for three months.  I think it is possible to cause the implants to move to places you don't want them to move.  I do let my patients start with light arm weights after 3-4 weeks, and that may be enough to give you the definition you are after.  Again, every surgeon is different, depending to a large extent on their experience with past patients.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Push-up exercises after breast augmentation

+3

Ask your doctor of course but for my patients I ask them to absolutely not do any heavy pec exercising for 3 months post op until the pocket has fully matured around the implant and it is mostly locked into position where the activity won't displace heimplants to an undesireable location and possible need revisionary surgery.

Plus, there are plenty of great exercises that are better for arm definition than push-ups. You might seek the advice from a personal trainer about than and clear it with your doctor.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Push ups after breast augmentation

+3

I usually clear patients for full activity at 6 weeks as well, but push ups are specific exercises targeting the very muscles that were operated on.  Listen to your body and go slowly - it will come with time.   As for the implant movement, that is to be expected with submuscular placement.  At the end of the day, if you are happy with the surgical results, most people find that it is a reasonable trade-off to have some implant movement when strongly flexing the pec muscles.

Michelle Spring, MD

Implant movement when doing push-ups is expected and "normal"

+3

The reason that you are experiencing the movement of the implants are because they are behind the muscle and are being compressed with the muscle contraction. Over time (and you are still quite early yet in the maturation process), this should improve though there will always exist this "deformation" with pectoralis muscle contraction.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Caution with pushups after breast augmentation

+3

Assuming your implants are under the muscle, there are some important things to keep in mind with exercise that involes the pecs such as pushups. In most cases part of the muscle is where it attaches to the ribs (unless split muscle technique was used.) That means that essentially half of the muscle is no longer functional and will pull on the implant capsule. (This is one of the reason animation deformities occur.) The part of the muscle that wasn't cut attaches along the sides of the breastbone (sternum) so when the muscle is flexed it will tend to push the implant to the side. In the long run you may be better off finding a new exercise to tone your arms.

Richard Baxter, MD

Push-ups should be possible

+3

Most patients initially find push-ups much more difficult after augmentation. I have augmented many military patients and push ups are a component of their fitness test. They all have problems initially, but after several months most approach their preoperative levels. I assume your implants are under the muscle - the feel will be very different until you adjust. Be patient! Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon